Band Wrench

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Band Wrench
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 06:16 pm:

And while we're talking tools, which of these (if any) is correct for an early '15 car?

bw

The top two have T-1917 on the back side, and the two others have only a maker's mark. The very top one is what I posted recently as a part of a complete kit, but Larry said it was wrong. But I'm pretty sure that's one he sent me a couple of years ago, saying it was the correct one. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 08:16 pm:

Mike

I would go with the bottom one, it has a larger Ford script, and the early hub caps had the larger script......just sayin' :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 09:56 pm:

Just to add to the variety and confusion, here are a few more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 09:58 pm:

In the first photo, the top one is correct. In the second photo, the middle one is correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 11:08 pm:

Thanks, Larry -- I guess you were right after all. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 12:00 am:

I've been lurking around here for awhile, and I'm still not sure what these wrenches are for. Anybody want to enlighten a new guy?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 02:39 am:

Jared, they are used to adjust the internal nuts on the reverse and brake bands. These are only under light tension from the springs on the trans shafts between the band ears, and so the tools are of light construction. If you Use one as a normal wrench, it will certainly stretch and often break. The one on the bottom of the last photo shows the typical stretch or widened out end.

If you find one like that, you must use red heat to get it back into shape or it will break. Many have the part number T1917 embossed on them.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 10:13 am:

Mike, I sent you a NOS '14 band wrench years ago!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 10:28 am:

Yes, I mentioned that above. Isn't that top wrench in the picture the one you sent me? If not, please post a picture of one so I can see what they look like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 10:30 am:

I believe the top one in Steve's pic is a Model A wrench. I have several of those, and they all have an M on the back. Aren't those for Model A's (or later)?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles W. Little South Paris, Maine on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 08:03 pm:

I believe the top wrench in Steve Jeff's photo is the earliest variation of the T-1917 wrench and is correct for the earlier T's. This is the style I have in the toolkit for my 1913. While not truly rare, they are not common.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 09:01 pm:

Steve -- Help us out. What's on the back side of the top wrench in your pic?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 09:10 pm:

bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 09:46 pm:

Mike

Found this earlier thread on T 1917 wrenches

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/214837.html?1307031765

That fatter/bigger 1917 sure looks like the early parts book version.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 10:09 pm:

I believe when Ford introduced the second style band wrench, it was the first time they had 1917 on it. With many different manufacturers of tools, there are slight variations of them, but the function remains the same. Another interesting observation on that tool is the application of the other end, which I believe is 5/8" There aren't a whole lot of 5/8's bolts and nuts on a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 10:27 pm:

Larry

5/8" ? Cyl head bolts, timer strap bolt, demountable lug nuts on the rims, just to name a few.....:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles W. Little South Paris, Maine on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 09:56 am:

A LOT if information re tools!

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/249390.html

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration