The bad turns out good ....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: The bad turns out good ....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 06:53 pm:

This car runs daily but Wed. the starter sounds like
gravel. Normal temp it starts- cold the gravel sound
to nothing. Ok 2hrs to get it out cause I cant see
made short its dirty comm. and brushes cleaned and
turned commutator and cut the segments. I shine a
light in the bellhousing and with finger and kind of
rounded a coil. Installed (one tap its running), now
the Magneto now works. Aint worked since day one.
So I think when we installed engine and installed the starter my kid must have knicked a coil. so
use caution installing starters. Now this kicks!!
big difference on Mag. but I got oil drippin from the bendix cover?? yes new gasket but its gotta be
not true..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Georgetown Ontario Canada on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 06:54 pm:

Samuel,

I always use gasket sealer on the bendix cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 07:02 pm:

Yes I know but I see bent edges so Is got to come
off. I got the only one that aint potty trained.
no leaks. shame on me I now better but, its called
old age brain dead. I just wanted to take off in
the thing. WRONG. I'll have the kid do it, Greg
sam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 07:14 pm:

Here's what I did on my Bendix cover:

I cleaned the gasket flange thorougly, then ran a medium bead of Permatex Ultra Black on the entire gasket flange surface.

Then, I set a piece of wax paper on a smooth, flat surface (I used my kitchen counter), set the bendix cover onto the wax paper, then set a book on top of the cover to hold it down. I let the Permatex cure overnight.

The next day, I peeled off the wax paper and trimmed off any excess Permatex. This left me with a perfectly flat surface to mate with the gasket.

I lightly greased both sides of the gasket and installed the Bendix cover. No leaks so far!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 04:58 am:

excellent idea Mark

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration