Found discharge problem reverse Polarity

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Found discharge problem reverse Polarity
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Elliott on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 07:20 pm:

Follow update , installed a new 6 volt Battery ( was dead and charger says fault reverse Polarity , well I could not get this new chargers to charge the battery , and I guess with further messing around it could have been. Ok you all waiting for the answer. Battery installed, noticed ammeter gauge showing way over discharge, pulled the battery wire off the brand new Commutator ( cut out). Ha ! yes, replaced it with the dirtiest one I could find forget the other new ones. , and a nice. Zero with ignition off, hit light switch and discharge. All is well. Some more minor adjustment and I'll be ready for the. Farm and tractor and Motherlode T show

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Elliott on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 07:22 pm:

Again thanks you folks here on the Forum I was a panic stage, this TT was built in the late nights by you generous helpers and my Beer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 09:31 pm:

You told us that it was zero with the switch off and discharge with the lights on. What does it do when you run the engine? It should show charge.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Elliott on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 12:26 am:

It shows a charge. At 15-20 Amps, it's really working now, that new commentator really messed me up , it started right up runs great , lights in a slight discharge reference it up it s at 20 Amps. I like to run the tours with the lamps on, I'll put this to the test tomarrow. I'm back in the Tour now. I. Happy the T is happy , my wife not happym cause I spend more money on Lizzie ! And more time and miss dinner. Ha!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 02:58 am:

You should adjust the third brush and get that charge rate down to 10-12a. At least get it below 15. Your generator is not going to last long at 20a.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 03:36 am:

Not to be picky, but a cut out is not a commutator. The commutator of a generator is the segmented copper area on the end of the armature shaft where the brushes ride. Ford also used the word commutator for what we usually call the timer today. The cut out is just called a cut out, although there is a voltage regulator available to take its place. You may consider getting one once you get everything worked out. It will allow the lights to run and generator still charge, but not overcharge when lights are not on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 08:01 am:

Steve, 15-20 amps is going to fail the generator quickly, and / or cook the battery to death. Do what Hal says! Also get a Fun Projects voltage regulator. End of problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 10:03 am:

The charge rate should be much less then 10 amps.
From John Regan:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/368153.html?1371871612
"Actually if the T is in good tune and your magneto is healthy then you can get a pretty constant 1 to 1.8 amps of charge into a 6V battery. At even one amp of charge your battery can recover in about 17 minutes of driving and less than that if it is a high speed drive. The average T owner is so accustomed to "overcharging" as being OK that I have never had anybody believe me that when using a cutout they ought NOT to set their charge rate any higher than 3-4 amps. Just every person I try to convince otherwise will then always assume that "more is better" and so 4 becomes a 5 amp setting and then a 5 becomes 6. I just got off the phone with a guy who has his cutout equipped car with "rebuilt" generator set up at 12 Amps. He is having problems but thinks that he needs at least that much charge and is looking for advice that agrees with his thinking. He is convinced he needs more charging and I didn't convince him otherwise. He will end up with an alternator most likely and since the alternator has a built in VR he will end up charging even less than the 3-4 amps he was sure wasn't enough - go figure. My son has a '16 roadster with a healthy magneto and our HSBCK1 kit is all he has on it and we check that full sized 6V battery regularly and find it is always "up" to full charge. Of course it will not keep up with headlights too but since he has a full sized 6V battery in there - he can run with the headlights on for several hours and we are religious about putting an external charger on it when he gets home. Its not a bad simple setup for a car that is a typical daytime car with only occasional short night trips."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Elliott on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 11:34 am:

Discharge problem on Tour went well. Ran about 19 Amos all day cat idel 3-5. Or less. I just have to watch my ammeter when I turn off the engine . To read zero .
Truck ran the best ever, but two more problems came up heading home, lots if stop and go traffic, so the fuel pump got hot and . Cooled down and started again. About the time we told Lizzie your getting towed home! Then in combo the coil getts pretty hot and lost ignition Two more times on the way home. Cooled down after 19 minutes and we completed the tour. 1. I am going to relocate the 6 V external fuel pump. 2. I'm going to get another higher spark coil and relocate it ( it's hanging above the engine , engine runs cool). Next change the points and condenser or a electronic. Plate in the Bosch 009. All new parts. And maybe I should have stayed with the Anderson timer. ? New parts all going bad. That's sad when you replace the stuff and it's garbage This is good to fine tune the TT for it's big trip to Yosemite Park. Drive

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Elliott on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 11:35 am:

Dang smart phone 10 amps. And 3-5 or less at Idle

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration