Glass resilvering

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Glass resilvering
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 08:12 pm:

I think this is a glass reflector for the gas headlamps. The backing is starting to flake off and the mirroring is kind of faded. Someone told me they are not reproducing these in glass anymore so is it worth my money to have it resilvered for an extra for my '14 T? If so, where would I go to have it done?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 09:01 pm:

I have several to do also.Please post if you find a place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 09:13 pm:

I have several to do also.Please post if you find a place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 09:56 pm:

I too, would like to know of someone who provides this service. I have a beveled edge mirror which I would like to have resilvered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 10:04 pm:

There is a resilverer here in Seattle. They do curved lamp mirrors and the result is excellent. Pm me for the contact number.

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 11:02 am:

I had mine done by these folks:

http://173.254.105.222/index.php?id_category=9&controller=category

They have a lot of experience with antique auto lamp mirrors, called "parabolic mirrors" on the above page.

Regardless of who you take them to, be sure that you have the glass polished where the silver is to be applied. Otherwise, when you get them back, they will look just like they did before you sent them in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Griffin on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 11:43 am:

I had mine done last year. Check out "A Moment in Time" in Wellington, Kansas. They specialize in mirror repair and have experience with Mangin mirrors.

The process involves stripping the old silvering off, polishing the surface, then resilvering (to include any protective coatings). If the surface is not polished, any imperfection will be magnified by the new silver. These reflectors were mass produced back in the day, and you will likely find minor imperfections in the originals if you look closely, but it was and is "good enough" for it's purpose. (These aren't telescopes.) It is possible that some discoloration of the old silver has permanently marked the glass, and that will show after resilvering, but that is the way it is with old mirrors; anyone who provides this service will tell you that.
My own mirrors turned out nicely, you have to look close to see any discoloration. The old imperfections are still there as before (swirling on one, as if the glass was not hot enough when poured) and I am happy with the results.

You might also check with Tim Inman of Inman Historic Interiors, Inc. (historicinteriors.com, I think). They have no experience with antique auto Mangin mirrors in particular, but seem like another good resource.

FWIW, I found decent material to replace my (missing) asbestos pads at a welding supply shop. This stuff is compressible and can be cut with scissors. (The pads that you place behind the mirror in the headlamp.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 12:41 pm:

AMIT are the folks that I referenced above. The pads are available from Mac's and Snyder's also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Griffin on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 07:57 pm:

Sorry R.V., I didn't see your post before I sent mine. I was at work and couldn't finish composing my post for quite a while.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration