Is this for real?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Is this for real?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J Williams on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 09:10 pm:

Hi again back with another mystery to me anyway.
I found what appears to be a battery case not a battery box
It has ford script on one side Richardson company on the bottom with patent dates from 1915 thru 1925 . The material
It's made of looks typical of the old tar top batteries..
There are also finger holes cast into the sides that stick up on
The sides .I know you could rebuild your own batt. Years ago
Because my dad rebuilt one in the early fifties.i guess my
Question is could this be an aftermarket case or something else? As usual no pic's

Thanks. Jim. W

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 09:24 pm:

Sounds like what you have is the battery case they came out with in 1925.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 09:43 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 10:06 pm:

I would like to add, the handles support the lid for the battery box. That is why the reproductions are not made correctly, because they wanted to use the battery box for support instead of the battery which is understandable. But all you need to do is make two simple brackets with handles on them to lay along your modern battery, and it will do the same job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 10:13 pm:

The battery manufacturers would give them out with a
Hygrometer and bulb syringe to service batteries and
promote their brand name at service stations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 10:24 pm:

When were the wood ones made?Wood battery box

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 10:26 am:

According to the Ford parts book, the wood battery case was used from 1919-24, and the rubber one came out in 1925. I have one just like it, and it fits in my reproduction battery box perfectly. It does NOT fit in the current reproductions from the vendors. Also, I believe the very first batteries in 1919 were even different yet. Nice batter case Tim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 10:54 am:

Thanks ,Larry. My poor picture doesn't do justice to the quality construction of it. The deep Ford script on the front, and Roman numerals below that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 10:57 am:

It is interesting that James' rubber battery box has such early patent dates on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J Williams on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 01:31 pm:

Hi guy's

You always figure out what I have here on the forum
Even without pics you guy's are a wealth of information
My case does not have the two little grooves on the tops of
The handles . The patent dates are 1915. 1917. 1925 with
Other's pending . Also forgot to mention numbers on the
Bottom it may help a little

T-27. Thanks. Jim
E

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 10:06 pm:

I think I have a case similar to that in the shop up on the shelf. I thought it was a box used to carry stuff in.I hope I remember to take a pic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 11:42 am:

If there is any interest, I'll take some pictures of the bracket I made to enable us to use a modern battery in a totally stock Model T battery box. It's so simple it's amazing. With these brackets, you are able to use a stock battery box cover. I can get boxes made exactly like Ford did if there is any interest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 11:43 am:

Yes Larry, please do, thanks!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration