OT Old Car Related

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT Old Car Related
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 10:54 am:

Getting ready to start my 1917 Maxwell for the first time in over 60 years. Haven't worked on an old car since the 1980's and don't know much about this new gas. Filled my repaired gas tank up yesterday with about a gallon and a half and waited for the first leak, nothing. Everything seemed perfect, no leaks and the float level seemed to be set right. Last night I noticed the sides of the bowl seemed wet at the top. I knew it wasn't overflowing as the line has a shutoff. The brass carb is very primitive and has no gasket between the top brass cover and the body. Today 24 hours later the carb body is noticeably wetter but not completely down the sides and now the top plate is wet. Not a single drop on the floor and I do not believe the bowl is cracked. My question is does this new gas have the ability to "wick" or climb out of the bowl like some of the new gear oils will actually climb up a gear? If not I must be in the Twilight Zone as this can't really be happening!

Howard Dennis carb 1carb 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 09:37 am:

Apparently nobody but me has ever experienced a gas leak but me judging by the silence on my question. Here's another problem that has surfaced, two head bolts are weeping slightly so I drained the water out in case it was also internal. Should I refill with a sealer or should I remove the head bolts and silicone them before re-installing. I'm really not wild about disturbing the head gasket again as they are getting hard to find.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Floyd Voie - Chehalis, Washington on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 10:52 am:

Howard,
I don't know about the Maxwell but on some makes the head bolts are wet and require a sealer. I like to use non-hardening Permatex 2.
Good Luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 11:20 am:

No carb expert here, but I'd make a gasket for it and see if that helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 11:26 am:

Howard, Don't know anything about Maxwells but the first thing I check when gas is weeping or leaking out of carb is the float level. That is if your carb has a float. Also the float may have lost some of its bouyancy allowing a higher gas level. Anyway, how about a picture of the Maxwell?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 11:35 am:

The float level must be a tad too high.
Check to see if there is gasoline inside the float.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 12:24 pm:

Not much to see yet as I'm still fitting the body found on this forum and getting ready to start it for the first time in 60 years.

Howard DennisMaxwell

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 03:40 pm:

Originally thought I was saving a car a farmer made a truck out of until a Canadian collector showed me this and said it is probably the only survivor of this little known first cab & chassis program from this company.

Howard Dennisdelivery 1delivery 2delivery 3delivery 4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 07:10 pm:

Howard, I've got the oil gauge for a teens maxwell, let me know if you need it. $20 with shipping to you included.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 08:41 pm:

Thanks Brian, my dash has no provision to monitor oil pressure, appreciate the offer though.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 10:39 pm:

Dennis, I would be looking at the float and the needle&seat as others have mentioned. After you check the float for leaks (but it probably is a cork float), I would try lowering the float level a little bit as this will put more pressure on the needle. Also of you lightly tap on the needle while it is installed in the seat, it will form its own tight surface contact and sometimes improve sealing. Also if there is a gasket under the seat it may need replacing. Just some ideas to try--you have an interesting car to work on. Let us all know how it turns out. Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 08:55 am:

Howard, nice to see the progress. My '15 has that same carburetor and mine doesn't seep. I agree with the float level or needle not seating theory. Thanks for posting the chassis pictures. I can see how my battery is supposed to be located. Too bad there aren't enough Maxwell owners to have a nice forum like this one. I'm glad they let us talk Maxwells here from time to time. Non-Fords of the same era give a little balance to the Ford story. It should be interesting to some.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 01:45 pm:

Well I spent the last two days exhausting all my knowledge and skill on trying to get this &%#$%&&% carb to work, I've tried multiple carbs, reset float, leaned and richened mixtures and it runs a few seconds and seems to flood out the plugs and quits. Just had the final straw as it seemed to pop and blew out my new headgasket. I'm done, does anyone know someone who can build me a carb that has been test run and will guarantee it to work?

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 01:51 pm:

Get your brass carb from Stan Howe at www.strombergof.com !! He does ridiculously quality work and test runs everything before he sends it to you.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration