I need the cap to this

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: I need the cap to this
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 02:39 pm:

I don't know what these are actually called, and I need a top to mine. I've tried looking in the parts catalogs, but without knowing what it is called that is difficult. I've tried front spring perch, front engine mount, and etc.
Oh, while I'm at it, how do the springs go onto the starting crank handle?
cheers,
chriso

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 03:13 pm:

Call Langs and tell them what you need. Ask if you can send a photo of the bracket.
They have a lot of used parts they don't list.

Thats a fairly common piece that you will eventually find. Also watch Ebay. Another source would be Dave Huson in Colorado.
He posts on the forum often.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way, Wa. on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 03:28 pm:

Chris
I think it is called "Crankcase front Bearing Cap" check Lang's Page 56 bottom of the page.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 03:31 pm:

Bob is correct, Lang's online catalog shows that he offers used and NOS ones.

http://www.modeltford.com/pl.aspx?t=s&v=crankcase%20front%20bearing%20cap&page=1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 03:52 pm:

It says front bearing cap, those aren't babbeted, are they?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 03:57 pm:

No, not babbited, but allow for some rotational movement of the front of the crank case as the frame flexes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 05:16 pm:

For your crank question, the spring has a section of the spring that points toward the center of the spring. There is a small hole in the crank that the spring piece fits into. The free part of the spring goes toward the crank ratchet. That has to be able to move so you can push the crank in to engage the ratchet. Usually a washer is placed between the free end of the spring and the nose of the pan to prevent the spring from working into the nose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 05:38 pm:

Awesome! thanks for the quick replies!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 05:52 pm:

Chris, when you get the cap it is a good idea to apply a good waterproof grease on the front motor mount and on the neck of the pan that sits on the mount. It is designed to allow the neck of the pan to rotate in the mount and relieve stress on the crankcase arm.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration