I ran my engine for the first time!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: I ran my engine for the first time!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 11:32 pm:

I ran it on a carb bowl full of gas. Using a Kingston L-4 with a bad repair. It leaks around the idle screw. But it runs. Still a whole lot of work, but since my regular car died (as in going to the scrapper) I was able to end today on a good note.
It was missing on #4, and the timer was more retarded than I thought it would need to be. The connector for the lever rod was at about 10:30. Ah well much to do and more to learn! Thanks to everyone for the help so far!
cheers,
chriso
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STCUwwY_eHY&feature=youtu.be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin in South Africa on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 01:59 pm:

Well done Chris! Definitely check the commutator (timer) and wiring to trace the issue with #4. Swap the coils and see if another cylinder now misses etc..

Brilliant effort and I can't wait to hear my old girl fire up again. .but getting closer.

Cheers
Justin
South Africa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 05:15 pm:

Thanks! I believe one of the contacts is bad on the box. That is OK, as I'll be using a firewall mount. The late box was for ease of starting. I also forgot to look at the voltage on the mag post. I only wanted a couple second run as there was no radiator hooked up.
cheers,
chriso

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Stewart -Calif. on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 07:44 pm:

It's great to hear a Model T Engine come to life after years of sleep, since the last ones are now over 87 years old!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 10:52 am:

The first start is the best start! :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration