Old Photo - Model T Rail Engine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Old Photo - Model T Rail Engine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 10:40 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Livingston on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 05:59 pm:

Interesting photo. Back end looks like a converted maintenance car or "speeder". Any idea of year or location?

Jeff Livingston
Hawaiian Railway Society

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 08:13 pm:

I agree, Jeff. It looks like the sprocket on the wheel is smaller than the one on the axle, so even if the axle ratio was 4 to 1, the final drive would be less.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 08:21 pm:

Since the wheels are smaller than T wheels, it makes sense to gear them up like that. That would bring the vehicle speed back up to regular T speed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way, Wa. on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 11:03 pm:

Note that it has 6 wheel breaks, break shoes on all wheels. It might also have a trans for gearing.

Bob

The one I built.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 11:26 pm:

the old photo appears to be using Fairmont motorcar wheels on the rear, Bob's look like Kalamazoo wheels, which are larger in diameter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Livingston on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 09:19 pm:

Comparing Bob's rail car to the photo, the photo looks narrow gauge. My favorite flavor!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration