Old Photo - Livingood Four Wheel Drive Unit Installed, Front View

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Old Photo - Livingood Four Wheel Drive Unit Installed, Front View
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 10:45 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By zach kubesh on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 12:15 pm:

amazing, Is there anything that wasn't available in the aftermarket for a T back in the day?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 12:42 pm:

It's so out of vogue that many folks don't think about it anymore, but were there ever ash trays for a T? (No, I don't smoke.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 01:00 pm:

Yes, see thread below:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/174301.html

A search for "cigar holder" might also reveal some interesting threads. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 01:04 pm:

Ashtrays and lighters too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 02:50 pm:

Aren't there reproduction Livingood axles available?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 03:02 pm:

A few years ago there was a 1915 roadster with this 4 wheel drive system at Chickasha. Interesting note is the front spring and perches. Note the height of the perch and the hump over the diffy.

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 03:25 pm:

Would one of these 4 Wheel Drive units work on a TT? I'm thinking it should since the front axle assembly is the same as a T, but could there be difficulties at the rear of it? Or perhaps installation problems due to the heavier chassis? Also, as I'm writing this it occurs to me that the Livingood axle ratio probably is set up to match the regular T rear end so all four wheels turn at the same speed, which would mean even if it did bolt up, you'd have front wheels turning faster than rear wheels.

Anyhow, just a thought.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 03:29 pm:

A 4X4 Model T in actionů

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmHoUKq0sC8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way, Wa. on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 03:35 pm:

I have a Livengood 4x4 It is an interesting Design, He started and patented his first design in 1917 and his son and grand son are still making them on special order. I have a 2 speed warford under and direct trans. It would most likely climb a tree.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 03:39 pm:

Henry, Since the transfer case should be mounted to the TT the same way it should on a T, I would think the only major problem would be matching front and rear gear ratios as they should be, although one might could get by with a hi speed TT rear and a 4 to 1 gear in the front axle if used only in snow or mud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way, Wa. on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 03:56 pm:

Henry
You would need to change to a standard rear end and add say a Muncie three speed w/reverse to get your gearing. I'm not sure you could modify a worm gear rear end to fit the front axel. You need to have all wheels turning the same speed or you would tear up the transfer case.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 05:18 pm:

Don't quote me on this, but I seem to recall reading somewhere several years back that the transfer case was different for a TT. The different gearing was made up in the case. Dave

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration