1912 Rear Axle Assembly Problem

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1912 Rear Axle Assembly Problem
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 11:26 am:

What might be wrong with this photo of a 1912 Rear Axle that doesn't seem quite right at the Transmission end?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 11:31 am:

No flange or cut back too far on the upper bushing or the pinion is too far into the rear end.
See also;
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/444312.html?1399818639

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 11:33 am:

I would open it back up and check pinion gear position, pinion bearing (or if modern), front bushing flange dimension, (if not faced enough), drive shaft, and universal.

No experience with this early two-piece design, but to me the giveaway if this was a later torque tube is the nuts holding the radius rods are no where near the cotter pinhole in the threaded end of the radius rod. On later axles, you fit the front castle nuts first and cotter, then tighten up the lock nut behind the flange on the torque tube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 06:49 pm:

James, you don't say whether you have had this assembly together before. On more than one occasion, the front casting for a two piece torque tube has been added to a later tube to make the earlier part. Perhaps this is what you have and the casting was not installed in the correct position.

It is relatively easy to pick if this has been done. The later tubes have a longer machined section at the front and when the earlier casting is added, there is a section of machined tube about 3/4" long at the back of the casting. On a genuine early piece the casting is almost right up to the end of the machining.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 08:12 am:

Did you use the "cup" style driveshaft ball bearing in the driveshaft spool? I have heard of some people using the later "non-cup" style in an early spool (I would not recommend this). We have found differences in the thickness of the "non-cup" style. Also, if you put a gasket between the spool and driveshaft, it will move the whole assembly forward like your photo shows. The sleeve at the rear of the driveshaft could be too far forward. It should be right up against the pinion. If there is wear on the ends of the sleeve or the thrust plate of the thrust bearing, where the end of the sleeve rides it will move the driveshaft in an opposite direction of what your photo shows. Maybe, if it is a new shaft, they drilled the hole off?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 09:40 am:

Allen, the piece was assembled from a pile of parts.

I'm not sure they were all from the same year.

I'm also puzzled as to why the radius rods appear to be a little too short.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration