TT U-joint and driveshaft tube bushing questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: TT U-joint and driveshaft tube bushing questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark McWethy on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 07:09 pm:

Hello guys, hope this finds you all well. I was working on my TT this weekend. I thought I had found the vibration that has been troubling me. When I removed the toqure tube I found some play in the front bushing. When I removed the U-joint I tried to check it as I would a modern one. Twisting it I feel no play, but I can get the joint to slide side to side on both of the cross parts of the joint. Is this normal? Also I was going to replace the toqure tube bushing. Looking down the tube it would appear that there 2 bushings? The biggest question I have is how do you extract the bushing. I am guessing there was a tool for doing just that. If someone has one I would be interested in purchase. If not how do you go about removing it? You guys have been a Awsome source for help in the past I could really use some help now.
Many thanks in advance,
Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 07:17 pm:

Here is an earlier thread on TT driveshaft and bushing. May help.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/79883.html?1233000246

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 09:27 pm:

There are special tools, but a piece of tubing the right length and diameter will drive it out from the rear axle end to the u-joint end. There shouldn't be two of them. Have you had the driveshaft checked in a lathe? I had one that vibrated and I came to find out it was machined wrong from Ford originally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 09:56 pm:

they are some times way out of balance, and or bent. u joint sounds fine, drive shaft is a good place to look for vibration that changes with road speed, not engine speed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark McWethy on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 10:44 pm:

I checked again and looking in the U-joint end I see the bushing with a hole in it almost at the end. Then there is what looks to be appox a 1/4 inch gap and then what appears to be another bushing. I have a piece of tubing that looks close to the diameter of the new bushing but when I put it into the tube it doesn't touch the back side of the bushing, it seems to get caught on the (what appears to be) the bushing further down the tube In answer to your question Andy, no at this point I have not had the drive shaft checked as yet. If you guys think that I wont mess something up I'll try driving it out again. My next question is can you install the new one in too far? is there a stop?
Thanks for all your help again,
Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gavin Harris (Napier, NZ) on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 03:48 am:

Mark, the rivets that fix the casting (top end of torque tube) onto the tube itself have heads on the inside. Your length of tube that you are putting into the torque tube is probably stopping on these.

The MTFCA / Chaffin book on restoring axles (including the torque tube) tells us that one "method of driving the bushing out is to use a 1/2" drive, 15/16" socket with 1.25"OD. Drop the socket into the drive shaft tube behind the bushing. The open end of the socket should be against the bushing. Then use the square end of the drive shaft to drive out the bushing and socket". DO NOT USE THIS METHOD !
The first things to come out will be the heads of the rivets. Don't ask me how I know this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gavin Harris (Napier, NZ) on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 03:52 am:

My experience was with a T, not too sure about sizing with a TT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Elliott on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 11:24 pm:

My TT used to Vibrate in what I thought was High gear, tell I found I did not have the Ruxsell in high gear forward .
Mine has a Warford and a Ruxsell.

So stock these trucks are only to do 25 miles per hour.
I was hitting 30 when the vibration came on. Now it will do 45. But that's not a good idea 26-34 it likes that speed the best , anymore than that, I'm going to make saw dust with the wood spokes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark McWethy on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 08:03 pm:

Bump

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration