Possibly a rusty 21 coupe

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Possibly a rusty 21 coupe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 07:43 pm:

Just picked this up. Rusty but solid and nothing missing.21 coupe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 07:46 pm:

Leave it unmolested.. Get it running, make it safe, have fun

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike conrad on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 09:27 pm:

Fred, so is restoring the car molesting it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 09:41 pm:

some cars need restoring, some dont. if that car still has an interior, i'd leave it alone. want a shiny car? theres lots of them for sale. want an original car? good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 11:51 pm:

Didn't someone awhile back post away to keep the rust in suspension with a clear coating of some type ?? I know I've done it with some old pieces by using boiled linseed oil. Went over the surface with a kitchen scratchy pad, wiped it down and applied coating. Looked good.
George n L.A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 01:29 am:

Nice! I like it.
How is the interior? Other stuff?
It looks marginal to me for preservation. It really may depend upon the interior. However, that is only my opinion. It is YOUR car and your decision. I do agree that there simply are not enough preserved cars left. I have been in this hobby for over 45 years now and restored about a dozen cars. Most of mine were in such a poor state that they barely qualified to still be called cars. A couple had been restored prior to my getting them so were already "molested". I saw a lot of cars being restored by others that I believed should have been preserved as unrestored original. It always did bother me, even 45 years ago.
Again, Jim S, this is your car, and your decision. It looks like a wonderful acquisition to me, either way you go.
Thanks for sharing with us. We all love seeing another one brought back out!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Voss on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 09:02 am:

Good find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 09:18 am:

The bottom line would be the condition of the body wood structure. If the main body sills are still pretty solid that would be an indicator the car would still be solid enough to drive and have fun with.

By just looking at the pic the sheet metal hasen't sagged or started popping loose anywhere.

Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 12:57 pm:

Mike -
Like Clayton says - Sometimes they need molesting and sometimes they don't.

"Unrestored originals" as Wayne called them are important to preserve -

My dad spent many extra hours in the mid 50's while restoring (preserving) the 1919 Mifflinburg Suburban I now own because he did not want to molest it.
In fact I drove both of them while I was in high school.

I also have a 1931 Model A that belonged to him and has not been molested in any way.

My dad put them in the barn in 1964 when he got sick and I got the 46 years later - the A 49 years later.

Model T getting ready for a parade ------------------------------- Model A being removed from storage last year

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 05:54 pm:

What a score, Jim!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration