Floating Hub Oil Leak

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Floating Hub Oil Leak
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karl Gilchrist on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 06:35 am:

I have floating hubs in my 1913 T . Recently I filled the diff with oil. I'm sure I didn't overfill it I filled it just to the level where I could touch the oil through the filler hole with my little finger. Since then I have had a leak from the Right rear hub. I plan to inspect things this weekend . What should I look for? Karl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 08:45 am:

Karl, you may still have over-filled the diff. On a 1913 diff the filler hole is at the centre, whereas it is lowered on later cars. The bent little finger trick is good on the later cars, so the same trick on a 1913 will mean there is more oil than necessary.

Others may disagree.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 11:33 am:

I've had the same problem on my '12 after long highway runs.
It helps to determine where the oil is coming thru at. Is it following the axle shaft or around the bearing spud between the housing?
Make sure you have one of the modern seals inboard of the bearing spud. You may want to use some adhesive when you put it in.

There are two seals on most floating hubs. The O ring and the inner seal on the shaft.
Check the condition of the O ring. It may be there is a poor fit between the bearing spud and housing. It could be that your retaining screw is pushing the spud tight against the housing and making an open space between the O ring at the opposite side?

The other area is the oil seal for the shaft may have been damaged on install.

I machined my spud and installed two seals for the shaft and a second larger O ring for the outer.

Good Luck and let us know what you find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 06:55 pm:

Sounds like too much oil. On my early cars I made up a little "ell" shaped gauge that I use to check the oil level and have found that 1-1/2" below the bottom of the fill plug is the right level. It could probably be even lower but at that level I do not have any trouble with oil getting out to the brake drum. As long as the ring gear is dipping down into the oil there will be plenty of oil thrown around to keep things lubricated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karl Gilchrist on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 10:39 pm:

Val I think you are right I made a little wire gauge and the oil was running much higher than 1 1/2 inches below the plug -I've suctioned some out and will see how I go with a lower oil level

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 11:41 am:

The oil level can creep up as engine oil migrates down the tube from the fourth main.
Hopefully your oil level is just a bit high.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration