OT - The F.R.P. – Finley Robinson Porter’s Masterpiece

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - The F.R.P. – Finley Robinson Porter’s Masterpiece
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 07:43 am:

The F.R.P. – Finley Robinson Porter’s Masterpiece: After Porter left Mercer where he designed the famous Mercer Raceabout, he next built what could have
become the ultimate American car in 1914. The F.R.P. was an outstanding 100 hp. plus s.o.h.c. supercar.

Read the story about it, see many more photos of the only surviving car from the Seal Cove Auto Museum and full period press photos and coverage
@ http://theoldmotor.com/?p=119973

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 07:51 am:

F.R.P. drawing from ”The Automobile”, November 12, 1914

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 09:50 am:

I remember the car when it was on display at Harrah's. An incredible motorcar indeed.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 11:22 pm:

For you Great Race fans, back in the 90's, didn't Curtis Graf of GR fame find and begin restoring an "initial" car that was a FRP? If memory serves me, in visiting with him it was supposedly one of two and he obtained info to assist in the restoration on it I guess from the one pictured. I do not know if he finished restoration. I don't know what disposition was made of the car, but I don't think he still owns it.
Anybody else remember anything about this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 08:24 am:

Tim, Curtis did finish it and did enter it in the race.

He eventually sold it and the last I knew of it was it ended up at Retromobile in France for sale again so it may be in Europe or the UK now.

If anyone can lead us to any more info or photos about the F.R.P. please let us know as we are working on an article about the Porter-Knight
cars and the Porter that was built after WWI to use up the left over F.R.P. parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 08:34 am:

Wow, what a car. I bet that engine alone weighs as much as an entire Model T!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 02:48 pm:

" I bet that engine alone weighs as much as an entire Model T!!"

Tim one would think that right off the bat but no it didn't. Porter made much of the engine internals from chrome-vanadium steel and both the cam and crankshafts were both gun-drilled. The crankcase and other light alloy parts were cast in a magnesium-aluminum alloy.

The specs. call for a 7-pass. touring weighing in at less than 3,500 lb. Read the three page report in The Automobile about it @ http://theoldmotor.com/?p=119973 as it is a fascinating car.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration