6Volt and Resistor Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 6Volt and Resistor Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Elliott on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 12:10 pm:

Do I need a Ballast Resistor with my 6 Volt Coil ?
Do I need a Resistor to my 6 Volt Electric Fuel Pump?

Thanks All. Se

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 01:14 pm:

On the coil the ballast resistor helps with the collapse of the field giving a more consistant spark and saving wear on your points, On the fuel pump I see no benefit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 01:36 pm:

Why not match the battery voltage with that of the stuff you are hooking up? Way too many opportunities for problems running a 12 volt battery with 6 volt devices. I would not expect a long life out of devices designed for 6 volts when you hook them up to 12. Figuring what balancing resistor(s) would suffice is not where I want to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Elliott on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 02:15 pm:

I have a 6 volt system. All new crap, It's the suppliers saying a 12 volt coil works on a 6 volt system. At at the auto parts store getting 6 Volt only. And a 6 pack of Beer . The proper match in these situations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Elliott on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 02:35 pm:

Ok the 6 Volt coil( the new Napa one) . Reads on the label, No Resistor required !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 04:15 pm:

Steve,

Sorry about that I misread (or misinterpreted) that you had a 12 volt battery and were trying to use 6 volt accessories. If all are 6 volt, the only resistor that might be needed is for the coil and nicely enough, yours is the right voltage and labeled as no resister needed. All should be good.

Some folks like to mismatch to make due with what they have on the shelf and it isn't always wise.

Walt

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration