Torque for hubs on wooden wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Torque for hubs on wooden wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stauffacher on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 03:44 pm:

What is the recommended torque for tightening the hub carriage bolts when assembling a new wooden wheel for a 22 Model T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 03:59 pm:

Turn them until just before they break. I have to confess I don't remember a number, but I do know a couple of things. You may know them too, but I'll mention them for those who might not. 1 Don't reuse the old nuts and bolts. 2 Get the new ones from RV Anderson (better than original).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 05:27 pm:

Model T was way before torque specs. You just use the appropriate length wrench. These hub bolts are coarse thread. A 10" socket wrench will snug tight the hub bolt nuts. Don't overdo it. The outer flange is thin, and can be warped or bent around the carriage bolt heads. And you crack or stress the wood spokes.

More important to keep the nuts on, peel or mushroom over the bolt ends, or stake the nuts to the bolt ends to prevent the nut from getting loose. Very important on the rear wheels in the brake drum, lots of load there with the rear wheel drive and stopping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 02:05 am:

Some folks in the past have mentioned spot welding the nuts to keep them from loosening, DON'T do it. While they won't loosen, they can't be snugged up again if needed, which they very well may need at a later date. Dave

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration