Shipping fenders

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Shipping fenders
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ned Protexter on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 05:33 pm:

Wondering what the best way to ship four fenders would be? Looking at Fed Ex, UPS, and might also try Greyhound. Any other ideas or tips?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 05:43 pm:

I used Fedex ground,but it is still salty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 06:36 pm:

Ned
No easy way... I just shipped a floor mat to WA $20.00 and $5.00 for a round tube !
Last fenders I shipped were 1915's I took them to the UPS,Store they were stacked one inside the other put into a big box, if memory serves me correctly they went on up the east coast at approx: $50-$55 bucks, for shipping. From where I live it's next to impossible for someone to afford getting anything shipped to the west coast these days. East coast is a little more forgiving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 07:17 pm:

Anything big and bulky is not an easy shipping proposition.

I have heard of people shipping fenders wrapped in the clear shipping wrap. No box or crate. Just the wrap.

Worked Ok with no problem so I've been told.

Seems when the shipping guys see the items they are seeing they tend to be more careful with the item.

Bumpers, grills,and etc. the same way. UPS does this all the time.

I bought a turtle deck years ago and the guy shipped it in a light crate and placed it inside a cardboard box. When I got it one corner was slightly bent. To each his own I guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 07:19 pm:

I have bought several brass era fenders off eBad and other sources in the past few years. Almost always cost more to ship than to buy. I bought a pair of '15 front fenders from a VMCCA member in Ohio. Paid $25 apiece for the fenders (his asking price) and just short of $100 to ship, I don't recall which, either UPS or Fed Ex ground. I have heard that Greyhound is a better (cheaper) way, however, the nearest place for me to pick up from them is about a 70 mile round trip.
Unfortunately, for me, I find lots of fenders available two to three thousand miles away at what I think are good prices. Every time I find fenders in Califunny, they want two to three times as much for the fender. The pair I bought from Ohio? He advertised them for $25 apiece. When they arrived, they had $45 written on them, he had been trying to sell them and couldn't for that. In Califunny? I have seen similar front fenders sell for over $150 at swap meets. Guess I'll keep paying shipping off eBad.
Just my experiences to consider. I have no really good advice for this.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 07:29 pm:

I think that is how Mike Peterson ships them; even bulky, heavy 26-27 front fenders. He shipped me a pair of fronts and the paint was still in good enough condition to mount without touch up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 07:52 pm:

I about two weeks ago I received a fender that I bought from Model T Haven. They had a cardboard boxes over each end and cardboard wrapped around the middle with cardboard stuffed inside the boxes and hollow areas of the fender. It came UPS and were in great shape when I received it. I once had a package delivered from Calif to Penna via Greyhound and it looked like they drug it behind the bus the entire way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 08:33 pm:

I should proof read or take more English lessons.
"It looked like they dragged it behind the bus" The package had nothing to do with "drugs behind the bus"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 11:40 pm:

You won't believe this but it works. Tape a shipping address securely to it. Tape padding on any sharp corners. Take it to the post office and throw it up on the counter, they will weigh it, add $2.90 for non-machinable and charge you the parcel post or priority mail rate. Off it will go into a bag in the back room. It will be there in a week.

I shipped two front fenders for a 26/7 to Georgia a few years ago for about $30.00

I know, most of you won't believe me but the Post Office has an obligation to ship virtually any thing a customer wants. Tires -- baby chicks -- live rabbits -- you name it they will probably accept it. One of my nephews worked at the Post Office for 30+ years as a traveling supervisor and one of his jobs was to explain to little old ladies running rural Post Offices that THEY did NOT MAKE THE RULES about what they would ship and not ship, the Post Office did. They removed several people from postmaster or clerk jobs because they refused to take something from a customer that they should have taken and shipped.

Go ahead, laugh and say I'm full of BS. It works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 02:20 am:

Stan is right. At one office I worked at we shipped out 14,000-15,000 baby chicks, ducks, geese and one time quail. The quail didn't survive; stress killed most. Also shipped tires car parts etc. One time earlier in the last century the PO shipped a young boy from Spokane, Wa to Missoula, Mt when the trains still had Railway Post Office cars where mail was sorted on the fly. Just weighed him and hung a tag on his collar and he sat and watched the sorters work. Cheaper than a passenger ticket. The only things that the post office won't take are items that are listed as dangerous or hazardous as much of the mail travels by plane. In hundreds of heavy or odd size items I have had shipped USPS only one was badly broken. That was due to NO packing on the part of the sender. I've had good luck also with the other carriers but almost always use USPS.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 06:36 am:

i used to ship huge floor radios that i sold on ebay until a few years ago..but agree shipping prices have become insane.

however, I used to ship my floor radios via greyhound bus transport. you can ship anything that way if you have a station near you and you pick it up there. it is MUCH MUCH cheaper than fedex, ups, dhl, or usps....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 06:50 am:

and i get 10,000 bees mailed to me every spring, they come like this. really freaks out the post office! x

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 07:01 am:

Brian that kind of freaks me out and it's just a picture! LOL, I can't imagine what it'd be like to get that in the Post Office. And the sound! That'd be crazy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 08:21 am:

They've been in there awhile. Look at the drawn comb. Someday they will figure out the CCD situation and I'll have bees again. SIGH.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 08:41 am:

Stan: well this is a bit off topic about what a post offices takes or refuses but I had to chime in on this one...believe it or not, we had the nastiest, most irritating bi-polar example of a postmaster on earth at the Sandusky Ohio post office...I used to ALWAYS buy a roll of stamps at a time, pay by check. No problem. One day, writing the check to the clerk, this idiot comes flying out from behind her yelling at the TOP of his lungs.."you can't do that! We don't take checks"! Tried to explain it to him to my dismay that I always did, no way would he listen. 4 people behind me turned ghostly white in disbelief, as I was turning fire red from embarrassment and the desire to jump over the counter and beat the shit out of him.

So they may take live animals and fenders, but back then they didn't always take checks!!

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ned Protexter on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 08:42 am:

Maybe Stan's way is the way to go.

I checked at Fed Ex last night and two rears together would be about $75 and fronts would be $150 from Central Iowa to Indiana. Seems very expensive. Going to keep looking. I'm guessing that the price will be higher than $30 but can't be more than the $300 I was quoted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 09:09 am:

that's a synthetic honeycomb they put in and attach to the queen box, it's made of out a plastic like hard wax. I don't know why they do it, perhaps it has a sort of calming element knowing the queen is on her hive and all is right in the world.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 12:07 pm:

Maybe Stan Howe can confirm. You can not ship bricks by post office. In the 1800s someone tried to ship bricks to Montana--enough to build a building.!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 12:19 pm:

Actually, I think they shipped the bricks from the brick making place in South Dakota to Wyoming. The post master insisted that each brick had to be weighed and stamped individually. After about 5,000 bricks he relented and just counted them and charged the postage. In a museum in the Black Hills is the counter from that Post Office which is worn half way through from them sliding the brick in under the little cage thing they had in those days. I believe they have restrictions on how many you can ship now because the Post Office had to hire a bunch of wagons to freight the bricks. You can still put up to 70 lbs in a Priority Mail box and send it out for $11.30; you can insure it up to $5000 and it can be bricks or silver coins, they neither know nor care. It can also be $5000 worth of carburetors. I ship all carbs Priority Mail. It is the safest, most reliable service we have out of here. Your experience may vary but where else can you ship 70 lbs or a couple thousand bucks worth of something for less than $20 and have it delivered on a Saturday?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration