Model T Auction

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Model T Auction
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By T. Kyle Swicegood on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 09:55 am:

we are auctioning a 1922 Model T in Yadkinville, NC. This is an online only auction. Nice condition! visit www.swicegoodauctions.com to register and bid!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 12:23 pm:

I'd never buy a car without seeing it in person, but if I were buying online I'd sure want lots of information and a lot of detailed pictures. This is a pig in a poke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 01:24 pm:

Unfortunately, a lot of auctioneers are relying on internet auctions more and more. I guess there are more people in the world that are willing to take that gamble than there are people who want to go to the auction and inspect firsthand.

If I was in the market for a coupe project, it doesn't look too bad. Better than the last project I bought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 05:32 pm:

What is so terrible about the way they are selling this? Looking at the auctioneer's web site it appears that there is not enough there to justify an on-site auction. There is ample opportunity for inspection and a week to bid. For the seller, this gives world wide exposure for the merchandise, very little expense for auction day crew, etc.; the property may be in an area where auctions are prohibited, etc.

Incidentally, I know these guys from the National Auctioneers Conventions. They run a major and first class business. My guess would be that they are predominantly reaching out to the Moravian community via the Internet as many of the faithful of that denomination will want property or mementos from Dr. May's estate.

I am going to be doing a similar type of auction. About fifteen years ago we discovered and sold a previously unknown original Ralph DeCamp watercolor for a world record price. I recently discovered another previously unknown DeCamp watercolor from an expedition to Yellowstone Park in 1885. It is in near mint condition and in Montana and the Art community will garner much interest and hopefully high dollars when we sell it. It will be shown at the gallery where I had it framed; we will take sealed bids for a week, then will invite the top 5 sealed bid holders to a live auction where we will also be set up to take phone bids from pre-registered and screened bidders. Can you just walk in the door, get a number and bid? No. Will we get big bucks? It's worked every time I've done it this way. Hopefully it will work again.

There is a lot more to the auction business than giving away boxes of junk to a few local buyers out behind somebody's barn. Very few of us have survived in the auction business for 32 years and those who have have kept up with the times and technology that is available today. Those who are long gone wouldn't listen to a new idea or try anything innovative. I have a list of over 100 people who have tried the auction business in Montana since I started. Fewer than half a dozen have survived and prospered. Front Range Auctioneers is one of them. Stan Howe, Bob Miller, Donna Smith - together for over 25 years as an auction team. www.frontrangeauctions.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 05:58 pm:

I'm not knocking online auctions. I buy things on eBay. But I'm too cheap to gamble the amount a car would cost without checking it out in person. If I weren't too cheap, I'd still want detailed information and lots of pictures for something like an automobile. Some products are well described by one or two pictures. But for a more complex item like a vehicle I'd want to see more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 08:45 pm:

There is viewing time clearly posted on the web site and a statement that there will be more photos posted, also an invitation to contact them for a private showing of the merchandise.

Bidding has been open for two weeks already. You have to register to bid and see what the current bids are.

Online Bidding Only Began: 04/30/14 at 8:00 PM EDT Ends: 05/22/14 at 6:00 PM EDT
Click here for Online Bidding Click here for Online Bidding
Inspection Begins: 05/18/14 at 2:00 PM EDT
Ends: 05/18/14 at 4:00 PM EDT
Item Pick-Up Begins: 05/26/14 at 4:00 PM EDT
Ends: 05/26/14 at 7:00 PM EDT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 09:02 pm:

I have to agree with Steve. The auctioneers are not doing their client justice by only posting a single photo of a complex, potentially valuable object like the coupe. The lack of online information will result in a lack of bidders. The auction folks are shooting themselves in the foot and doing very little to market the items.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 09:21 pm:

I saw about a 10 pictures on their site and the bid is $4025.00 now. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 10:02 pm:

I finally found the ten pictures with "Click here for Online Bidding". It does look like a decent car. If the bidding doesn't go a lot higher somebody well get a good buy even if the car needs work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 11:41 pm:

I'm not knocking online auctions either. Just making an observation. Steve, you may not like me saying this, but I bought my car on eBay. The price was right for what was there, and I made sure the seller knew I wouldn't hand over the money until I verified that.

I know some auctioneers that are doing online only auctions because it's easier than setting up a live auction. Not a bad idea for some items, but large items like cars and tractors are a little hit and miss when buying online. Some people are willing to drive to the auction to actually see what they're bidding on. Some would rather take that gamble with online bidding. To each his own.

Sorry about the thread drift, T. Kyle Swisegood. Looks like a pretty good car. I'm guessing a later restoration but a very nice driver. I hope she brings what the owners are hoping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 12:37 am:

A picture is worth a thousand words .... :-)

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike dixon on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 05:57 am:

jim whats the bid oh her right now, thinkin about puttin a bid in

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 04:04 pm:

I bought my '19 Touring on ebay.
I called and asked lots of questions.
I didn't need any more photos as it was a properly listed auction with plenty of photos.
I love that car.......it's some of the best money I ever spent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 04:09 pm:

You have to jump through a lot of hoops to find the additional photos.
I think this link will take you there >>> http://www.bidswicegoood.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?swicegood7/604

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 04:37 pm:

Yup, Bought my 19 Touring car on E bay. I asked a ton of questions and he had no problem taking photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 07:40 pm:

Mike, looks like that good looking chick got you a bit rattled..messed up your typing!! LOL
Whatever you bid, I'll outbid ya!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 08:25 pm:

That accessory wood rimmed steering wheel is only the third one like that I have seen. I own the other two. Anyone have any info about them? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike dixon on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 10:18 pm:

hadnt seen anything like that since i was a baby

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 10:37 pm:

^ Do you REALLY think anyone is going to believe that?........LOL

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration