My Original York-Bodied Deport Hack

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: My Original York-Bodied Deport Hack
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 04:36 pm:

I was looking thru a photo album this afternoon and came across these photos of my 1924 Depot Hack.
Sorry for the photo quality images.

My Dad bought it in 1955 the day after I was born, and that is me above behind the wheel at age three with my
sister standing in front of it.

The photo below is about 35 years ago when he gave it to me about 3-4 years after I went into the restoration
business. I am only the forth owner.

I was wondering if anyone else has one of these York bodies or any info on them as they are quite rare?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 04:38 pm:

A page out of the York brochure. They were located in York PA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 06:56 pm:

Sorry...you can't deport anymore!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 07:12 pm:

You are right about that....One must pay attention to spell check and the title... no dinner for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 08:08 pm:

David,

I like your Hack by the way. You are lucky to have an original body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 09:54 pm:

Beautiful vehicle. Great history and patina. ya gotta love that bulb horn through the front , too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 11:33 pm:

I restored one of these that was mounted on a '27 Chevy chassis. It's proper name (at least at that time) was the York-Hoover Body Co. They are well built bodies. Each intersection on the wood slats was riveted all the way through to a brace on the inside. The top was removable as it's own assembly without the body falling apart. Lots of nice details that you don't see on the common reproduction bodies being made now.

The company survives to this day as the York Casket Co.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 08:03 am:

Walter, Thanks for the info and it is interesting fact that the company has survived.

As you mention, the bodies are of very high quality and the thru-riveting is an interesting detail along with the curved front doors.

The photo above shows another survivor at the Owls Head Museum in Maine. http://owlshead.org/collections/detail/1925-ford-beach-wagon

I know of at least two other York hack bodies that have survived anyone know of any others?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay F. Cramer on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 10:38 pm:

I would also be interested in any information on original York bodies. We've been selling plans for a replica of the York 803 since 1999, taking over for the original owner of Hudson Wagon Works who sold them for about 15 years before that.
Jay Cramer
Wagon Works

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 10:58 pm:

This site has info on Hoover-York the parent of York Body.

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/y/york/york.htm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration