Old photo. Niagara on the Lake, Ontario Canada drug store.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Old photo. Niagara on the Lake, Ontario Canada drug store.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 10:10 pm:

Was visiting historic Niagara on the Lake today. They have an 1860s drug store the is so original, the shelves are still stocked with the actual, original, still full jars in both the old and new photos. Same building, note the chimney on the roof. Model T park outside of course.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 10:14 pm:

What happened to the train?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 10:28 pm:

Tracks are long gone like most of them now. I have to wonder what route that train took since that light coloured area you see behind the train is gigantic, Lake Ontario.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 12:08 am:

It's the corner of Queens and Gates streets, Queens being the road the RR is on. The train in the pic is headed south east. Back behind the train is a community known as Mississauga Beach.

Read the link I provided starting with the Erie & Ontario. There's a pic of this drug store with a Michigan Central engine next to it in the link. I have mapped the route on Google Earth as far back as 1934, and I'm fairly certain the RR did not pass this drug store that late in the game. In the 1930's the line split somewhere south of Ft Erie and actually went around it and connected back onto itself, effectively bypassing the area where the store is located.

http://www.niagarafrontier.com/railroadhistory.html#B

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 07:43 am:

Interesting link William. There is a pic on that site showing a train at the same spot. It almost looks like the same day except the sign at the bottom of the store front that says "Gasoline" is missing. Thanks for the info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 08:26 am:

Wow Dave...what a great bunch of pics. Absolutely love that the train passed by so close to the store! Imagine how much the bottles and such rattled and jumped everytime that train passed by, even if it went slowly, which I'm sure it didn't go very slow. Gotta go there and see it. Now to try Williams' link.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 06:25 pm:

Glad you liked them Tim. Looking at that train and the Model T on the same street, it's easy to see how there were so many crashes between trains and cars in those days.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration