Old Photo - Smoking At The Gas Pump

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Old Photo - Smoking At The Gas Pump
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 11:24 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 04:53 pm:

I have heard of and seen pictures of, and read materials about gas not being as flammable back then as it is now.

I'm not gonna try it, but it's out there.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 07:39 pm:

BOOM!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 10:51 pm:

when i was a kid, we had a small country store near by that had one gas pump. the place was our hangout, and the older boys would drop they're cigs down into the cap where they filled the under ground tank. to prove your man hood? i dont know, but it never blew up and i saw it many times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 06:01 am:

The burning tip of a cigarette smoulders at much below the flash-point of even modern petrol. Tip a little fuel into a container (jam tin) and then drop in a lighted cigarette. The petrol will extinguish the cigarette.

The risk is when lighting a cigarette, because the match or lighter flame is at a temperature higher than the flash point of petrol- then it will ignite the fuel vapours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 07:45 pm:

Dane, Sorry, What is the Flashpoint of your Petrol down there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 07:57 pm:

Dane,
When I was a teenager I had a friend who was always working on his car. He usually had a coffee can half full of gasoline in his garage for small parts cleaning. When someone who didn't know better was around he'd smoke a cigarette then flip the still burning butt into the can of gas. It would just go out, but some folks sure would get excited, including me the first time I saw him do it.

Gene,
The flash point is the same south of the equator, but when it lights the smoke swirls counter-clockwise. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 08:03 pm:

Yep, watched it on Myth Busters, as Dane posted!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 08:13 pm:

pre OSHA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 12:34 am:

Stupidity is timeless.
Erik

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration