What do you make of this 1912?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: What do you make of this 1912?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 12:37 pm:

see:

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/ford/model_t/1648429.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 01:07 pm:

Constantine;

Looks like a real nice one to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 01:15 pm:

Uh oh, it's got those sketchy shock absorbers. =)

Nothing about this car in particular - but I've never liked the T's that look like the rear wheel is about to eat up the fender. It always looks like the rear end has been scooched forward and the fenders bent upwards to compensate. I know it's not this simple but it just seems like the rear fenders need to come down and forward - right now it's like it wasn't put together correctly. Also, minor nitpick: is it really that hard to set the lense straight? It's very distracting when it's crooked.

Overall really nice car though. I wouldn't mind having it and driving it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 01:41 pm:

It looks like a nice car, but dang Constantine. Isn't it just about as far away from you as it can get and still be on the same planet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 01:42 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg sarky K on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 02:18 pm:

I'm jealous and I already have two 1912 Torpedos.

Wrong color and a few incorrect things but upholstery and top nicely done and correct two latch tool box..

Yes,this is the real early , must be a January car, Torpedo. Very nice and a rare model

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 03:02 pm:

With that elevated tank you don't have to worry about fuel starvation on hills.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 03:54 pm:

Steve fuel starvation can still happen with a torpedo. You have to have the tank somewhat filled on a steep hill. I had to turn around and back up a hill once with my 11' torpedo and it has a similar set up with the fuel tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 05:10 pm:

Engine number is 83XXX which would have shipped in the fall of 1911.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ned Protexter on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 05:40 pm:

It's elevated because it is further back than under the seat. I would guess that the overall angle is the same from sediment bulb to the carb. Also I have heard that the reason you can run out of gas on a hill is because the oil line is slightly more angled than a line drawn from the top of the gas tank to the carb. Makes sense if you ask me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 09:19 pm:

A few more 1912 Torpedo runabout pictures:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Stewart -Calif. on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 01:27 am:

I love the pre 1915 Model T's. Such Class.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By D. R. Currier on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 06:34 pm:

It has always been a Maine T. Sold originally in Kennebunk Maine in 1912. Chambers Ford... The engine is a Dec 1911 engine... It had a complete frame off in 1979/1980.. The paint is almost flawless for 35 years old... It is the early Torpedo w/ the dropped doors, two piece firewall and the exterior horn tube.. It is fairly correct w/ the exception of a later coil box and honeycomb radiator re core.. It drives like a dream... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 07:31 pm:

I have a 1912 torpedo and they use a very interesting fuel settlement bulb. Its long and narrow slightly larger at the bottom and no shut off valve. Its cast iron screws directly into the bottom of the tank, then goes down through the deck. It does not hang down very far below the deck. The fuel line is almost flush with the underside of the rear deck and gradually slopes down to the carburetor. I can't imagine ever having a starvation issue with this set up. If you have a modest amount of fuel the head pressure would be positive.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 09:01 pm:

Cars were being shipped from Highland park with 83XXX engine numbers in October / Early November 1911. By mid November 1911 cars were being shipped in the 85,000 range. By November 22, 1911 engine numbers were over 91,000.

Here is a snippet of a page from the Accounts Receivables Ledgers found in the Benson Ford Archive. Published here under my license:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By D. R. Currier on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 07:55 am:

Royce, Thank you.. Very helpful.. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By D. R. Currier on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 07:58 am:

Royce, Do you think I would be able to get a build sheet from the archives?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 10:17 am:

Going back to the rear fender issue which Seth mentioned. Is it just me or is there something wrong with the rear fenders on this car? Perhaps this car has reproductions rear fenders and the shape is not quite right? Compare:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 12:06 pm:

One might take into consideration that there are no occupants in the car for sale as in the other photos - doesn't take too much weight to lower the rear of the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 12:14 pm:

Steve, I'm referring to the shape of the rear fender not the ride height gap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 03:05 pm:

As in the radius is not as pronounced ?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration