What do you carry with you? / what is in your toolbox?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: What do you carry with you? / what is in your toolbox?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 03:46 pm:

Hello everyone,

I am building a speedster body and I want to make sure I have enough luggage space to carry everything I need. What do you carry with you? Please be as specific as you you can. I specifically want to know what tools you carry so i have enough room for them.

Here is what Im thinking,

Water
Oil
Tools (please help me make a list)
Tarp (to keep the rain off the speedster)
jumper cables

Thank you for your help!

NB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 03:51 pm:

Spare rod, coils, spark plugs, timer, light bulbs, fan belt, tire or tube, wheel lug nuts, headlight bulbs, tie wire, hand cleaner, paper towels or rags, oil check tool, gas gauge stick, wire ties.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 03:54 pm:

Under the front seat of the '26

From zip ties, wire, spare coil & plug, band tool, wrenches vise grips,... to tire changing stuff, not shown: a wheel chock, rags, and handcleaner, plus disp gloves.

and yes, it all fits under there :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 03:58 pm:

This is one of those questions that recurs from time to time. Some folks carry almost a whole garage with them, and others carry almost nothing. I expect a Google search will find you some previous posts where people share their lists, and in some cases explain why they do or don't carry certain items.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 03:59 pm:

Nathan,

Why would you need jumper cables?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 04:17 pm:

Henry, I would carry them more for other people than for myself

Steve, I did look but I couldn't find anything. Im am recouping from surgery so its possible im not thinking 100% clearly. If you could find them for me Id be very thankful

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 04:28 pm:

I probably carry too much, but here goes:

Fully inflated spare tire on demountable rim

The following all fit in my running board tool box:

OEM Ford Jack
Pair of folding wheel chocks
1 Quart Oil
Pair of 18 inch Tire Irons
Tire Pump
Patch Kit
Full set of OEM Ford Wrenches
Ford Pliers
Ford Screwdriver
Spare bulbs
Spare spark plug (Champion X)
2 spare demountable rim bolts/nuts
Loop of steel wire
Spare fuses
Modern LED Flashlight
Registration/insurance/mileage log papers in a plastic bag

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 04:34 pm:

Fire extinguisher (as shown in Dan's post)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 04:35 pm:

Ties changing tools, two extra coils, Wrench set, Oil,Water, side curtains, Top boot, towels, glass cleaner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 04:35 pm:

Oh, and a spare timer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 04:38 pm:

Oops, forgot a couple of items, here is an enhanced list:

OEM Ford Jack
1 Quart Oil
Tire Pump
Patch Kit
Ford Pliers
Ford Screwdriver
Spare bulbs
Loop of steel wire
Spare fuses
Modern LED Flashlight
8 paper towels, removed from the roll and folded
1 full size bath towel, folded
1 medium size towel, folded

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 04:40 pm:

Rats, forgot another item, here is list attempt #3:

OEM Ford Jack
1 Quart Oil
Tire Pump
Patch Kit
Ford Pliers
Ford Screwdriver
Spare bulbs
Loop of steel wire
Spare fuses
Modern LED Flashlight
8 paper towels, removed from the roll and folded
1 full size bath towel, folded
1 medium size towel, folded
Small Halon Fire Extinguisher

That's it! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 04:45 pm:

Here another older post on what to carry:

http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=6&post=5927#POST5927

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 04:50 pm:

It probably doesn't make a difference, but I carry a main bearing bolt wrench (one with the square socket )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 05:05 pm:

I carry my AAA card and a six pack. The six pack is to be used while waiting on the AAA tow truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 06:16 pm:

Everybody forgot a couple very important things,.....a cell phone and a copy of the local (or closest) "T" club roster with phone numbers!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 07:30 pm:

Mark,yours is a comprehensive list which is most helpful. However, I would change one item in your list, the folding wheel chocks. We had one member's wife almost lose a thumb removing one of those when it collapsed as she was taking it away when the car was moving off and stalled. Something solid is far preferable.

Hope this might save some grief.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 08:41 pm:

My list is a bit shorter because I don't need the later stuff like bulbs and fuses but it occurred to me that no one included spare tubes unless I missed it. I carry one of each size. I also keep a spare carburetor under the seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 08:48 pm:

If you have YOM plates, you need to carry a copy of the law for cops who don't know about it. You can probably guess how I know this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 08:51 pm:

You guys forgot;
Spare coil and if you run a dist, condenser and maybe a coil. Add to that a points file, good for both types.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 09:03 pm:

Besides what others have mentioned....I carry a large First Aid kit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 09:11 pm:

And...these are the odd little bits that have been needed on recent tours:

1. valve spring seat pin. Yep, someone had one, but nobody had a valve spring lifter. Would you believe?!, a walk to a farm house off the road, and there was one in the farmer's barn that was borrowed!

2. commutator brush cap pin. Had to make one from a small nail and file contained in the toolbox.

3. piece of copper wire. To hold and wrap around upper brass windshield frame that came loose.

4. the aforementioned spare tube. Tire caught a nail and tube punched. No patch kit, but someone on tour had a spare 30x3 1/2 tube for the rescue.

5. cyl. head gasket. Blown gasket was fixed in parking lot as someone had a spare.

6. carb spray cleaner. Overflowing NH with stuck float needle. Rapping and beating with hammer taps couldn't do it alone. Spray helped clear the stuck valve while tapping with heavy punch and hammer.

7. spare gas and water. Several ran out of gas, and some overheating T's needed a drink to get the coolant level back up proper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 09:21 pm:

How big a trailer does it take to carry all of that stuff?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 01:52 am:

STUFF I NO LONGER CARRY, BUT KEEP IN THE GARAGE:

A quart of oil, empty water bottle, gasoline dipstick, a Ford jack, 12-volt tire pump, spare inner-tubes, tire irons and a Marquette tire changing tool.

Hey, look; I do most of my driving within fifteen miles of my house and haven’t been on an organized tour yet. Therefore, there’s just no need to fix a flat on the road when I can, instead, phone Hagerty’s roadside assistance and get my car flat-bedded home where I can change out of clothes I don’t want to ruin, do the job in air-conditioned comfort and take frequent breaks.

I check my oil before leaving the garage, so there’s no need to carry a spare quart. Ditto on the coolant. And I don’t really need to dipstick the gas tank when all I have to do is unscrew the cap and look inside to see my fuel level.

But truth be told; on those rare occasions when I venture further than usual from home, I shovel some of the above equipment back into the car.

----------------------------------------------------------------

PRACTICAL STUFF I DO CARRY:

A fire extinguisher and first-aid kit, a can of 3-in-1 oil in case my timer gets thirsty; a flashlight, one spare coil, four spare spark plugs, some vise grips, various pliers and screwdrivers, a couple of adjustable wrenches, a roll of crescent wrenches, a set of wheel-chocks, two rolls of paper towels, a handful of rags and some brass polish, two pair of goggles in case of rain. In a zip-lock bag, I keep registration and insurance papers and a copy of the New York State regulation which will inform any police officer that it is legal for me to operate the car without seat-belts, windshield wipers, etc.

WHAT I SHOULD CARRY, BUT DON'T:

Spare fuses and a spare timer.

FUN THINGS I CARRY BECAUSE I USE THEM A LOT:

A camera, several ladies’ bonnets, one veil, a lacy white parasol, one straw hat, two derby hats (one brown, one black), various bow-ties, a button-down vest, one pair of ruffled sleeve-garters, one pair of white spats, a corn-cob pipe, lots and lots and lots of peel-and-stick handlebar mustaches, a dial-less candlestick telephone, a guest-book & antique fountain pen and a print-out of the “Spectators and Funny Hats” thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 07:55 am:

The only thing I don't see listed here that my wife made me carry,a set of disposable coveralls available at HF for about 6$ (3$ on sale) If you are dressed in period clothes and Murphy's law kicks in you really don't want to mess them up the coveralls will fold up into a standard glad sandwich bag.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 07:56 am:

Most of a T tool kit
Cheap Chinese tool set in plastic case
band wrench
quart of oil
Gallon of water (Before I bought new Berg's radiator)
ponchos (Ain't got side curtains)
first aid kit
fire extinguisher
cell phone

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 08:33 am:

My 26 Tudor.

Under back seat;
Couple of coils and plugs
Jack and lug wrench

Under front seat;
Exhaust wrench
3/8 - 3/4 wrenches, mix of open and box-end, Large and small flat screwdriver
3 tire irons
Tire gauge
5/16 box-end wrench (Gen brush)
Band tool
Pliers

Behind front seat on floor;
1 qt. 10w-40 oil, .
Hand cleaner and towels

Back seat;
Gazetter map

On dash;
GPS

On me;
Cellphone, ins card and Cash

Wife, front seat, you said "be specific"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 10:19 am:

a 357 Magnum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 10:51 am:

.45 Colt Auto here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 11:10 am:

Something I'm adding to my list is a laptop loaded with maps. I discovered that the KDOT website has PDF's of exquisitely detailed maps of all 105 counties. I'll put them on a disk and be able to look at a map with no need for an internet connection. I wish all states provided equally good maps.

A small part of Cowley County. The PDF shows up much better than this little jpeg sample.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 11:28 am:

I don't think I have seen this in the above posts.
Exhaust packing nut wrench.

Rear wheel hub puller.

Assorted cotter pins
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 03:03 pm:

12" adjustable wrench, pliers, screw driver, 10" vise grip, spark plug and coil, a breaker bar with 5/8" and 15/16" sockets and a quart of oil.
If I can't fix something with those tools on the road it'll need to come home anyway.
Twice I ran out of gas <bonk> which is when the cell phone came in handy....... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 04:54 pm:

The more you carry with you, the less you will need....:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 05:00 pm:

I think the deciding factors in what to carry are how far you're going and how much you trust your car. I'm going to start narrowing down my toolbox fodder, because I'll be working with a smaller toolbox than I used to have. I don't know if I'd need to haul a spare carburetor, but a rebuild kit might not be a bad idea. Spark plugs don't take up a lot of room, and a coil seems to be a safe bet. Spare tubes and tire irons don't seem to take up a lot of room and can be a lifesaver when help's far away. Adjustable wrenches and vise grips take up a lot less room than a full set of wrenches and sockets. A screwdriver with removable tips would take up less room than a full set of assorted sizes.

Something else to consider carrying is emergency supplies for yourself. Depending on how far out in the countryside you've ventured, it could take awhile for the tow truck to get you. Bring a few bottles of water. If your radiator doesn't need it, you probably will. I'd also pack a light jacket, preferably rainproof. Just in case. A tarp would be handy for covering the car (and yourself) in case of rain, and could make a makeshift sun shade in a pinch. Hand cleaner and paper towels will come in handy when you give up on fixing the car and reach for your cell phone. Of course a fire extinguisher and first aid kit are always welcome.

A roll of mechanic's or baling wire will have multiple uses. Some string might come in handy as well. Cotter pins like to fall out, and sometimes take the nuts with them. Maybe a couple extra nuts of various sizes in with your cotter pin assortment.

Looks like my list is already getting too big for my toolbox, but this is just what I think would be needed for long tours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Mulrooney, Webster, NY on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 06:22 pm:

I must say, I myself appreciate all the input here as I have been trying to compile a "reasonable" list of items to keep in the car. I, like Bob Coiro, will be journeying no further than 15 - 20 miles from my home base (for the time being). Eventually though, I plan on taking much longer trips through the Finger Lakes region of upstate NY. The original list I came up with would have required a trailer. :-) I wonder though, with all the lists described here, how many people have had the opportunity to say to themselves... "Damn, I knew I should have brought one of those" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 06:34 pm:

It mostly depends upon how far from home you travel, whether you travel alone or as a group with only one Model T, or whether you are on a tour with a trouble trailer following, and whether you have a cell phone with you and someone who can answer and bring help if you need it. The persons to give a good answer for long solo trips would be Dean Yoder, or Constitine.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 07:12 pm:

I didn't see on anyones list a lightweight tow strap. It can be very useful for lots of situations.
I always carry copies of our club rosters with our AAA card and cell phone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eddy Lee Emerson on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 07:45 pm:

I once went on a tour where a fellow traveler was carrying a rear axle and a drive shaft under his running board. Ed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 08:43 pm:

^ Anyone who would go to that extreme should save the bother and trailer another T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 05:12 am:

Craig, I did a tour from Adelaide all the way across the Nullarbor, north to Geraldton, then to Perth and down to Esperance, before driving all the way home again. I'll leave you to get out an atlas and work out how far that was.

Because I was running different rear axle bearings on the outside end, I carried an axle, ready machined, as a spare. I needed it when I broke an axle at an intersection in Southern Cross.

You never know!!!!!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 08:54 am:

So far I've only had two "breakdowns." At least breakdowns in the sense that I needed help. The first one I ran out of gas. Rookie mistake, I know, but I was new to this. Luckily I was only about half a mile or less from my house, so hoofing it back wasn't a problem. The second was a mystery run around town when I blew a tire. I don't have a spare, but luckily we have another car with 21" demountable rims on it. I parked it on the curb and got a ride back to the garage to get what I needed. Probably 20 minutes after getting a ride I had a tire on her and was heading back to the garage.

Point is, plan for what you can, but be ready to figure it out when you can't. One of Murphy's Laws says you'll never need the tools you keep in the toolbox until you leave them laying on the workbench at home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Taylor on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 09:09 am:

Here's what I bring:

Fire extinguisher

2 spare Freeze-plugs

Ford Adjustable Wrench

Two Small Ford Wrenches

Ford Headbolt Wrench

Two Spare Flaps

Two 1-gallon Jugs of Water

Five-gallon jug of gasoline

Cellphone

Family :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 09:33 am:

FIRE EXTINGUISHER is an absolute must. Get one big enough that it has the directible hose end.

If you want to be really specific Nathan tool wise I'd recommend:

At least 2 9/16" combo wrenches (open and box).

1 each:
15/16" (spark plug)
3/4"
11/16"
5/8"
1/2"
7/16"
3/8"

Basically you want to be able to fit any nut/bolt on pretty much any T - you'll be able to mess with yours as well as help anyone else.

1 big flat tip screwdriver (good for prying and getting at radiator hose clamps)

1 combo screwdriver - one end has big and little flat tip and the other has big and little phillips.

Wheel puller

Model T screw jack

Electricians tape

Needle nose pliers with wire cutter section

As for parts:

You're running a distributor so 1 coil and 1 rotor

Gaskets: carb/radiator/gas cap/oil plug

If no spare rim/tire then at least an inner tube

Some water/oil in whatever amount your can comfortably fit. No need to bring enough for a rad flush or oil change though.

Small can of gas

Cotter pin assortment

That will let you handle on your own about 90% of stuff worth fooling with on the side of the road or help someone else. Plus you're pretty much always gonna tour with someone like Jesse Pfieffer who carries an entire Lang's catalogue in his pickup. =) So anything you don't have, he will.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 11:17 pm:

Maybe the secret to planning your toolbox contents is to get a in touch with those with which you'll be touring. No reason for everybody to be hauling a spare carburetor or axle shaft while on the tour, but if somebody feels it necessary to have that in the back seat it's nice to know it's available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Saturday, May 17, 2014 - 03:33 am:

A can of ground white pepper. A get you home radiator leak fix. Achoo...

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration