Model T Coils Quit Firing - Need help - What am I doing wrong

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Model T Coils Quit Firing - Need help - What am I doing wrong
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lyndel butler on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 07:41 pm:

I bought a new set of reproduction Model T coils, purchased a meter, set the amps to 1.3 amps. I pushed the points all the way down against the base and set them at 1/32". When I did this the coils quit firing. What did I do wrong?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 07:50 pm:

Set coil at 0.030 recheck the amp setting and see if they work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 08:02 pm:

Give me a call tomorrow after 11am est and I will help you.
Beforehand send me a photo of the coils
Ron the Coilman
859-881-1677
Modeltcoils@windstream.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lyndel butler on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 08:08 pm:

I tried this and the coils still will not fire. Is my order wrong (set amps first, then points) or does this matter? When I set the amps the coils were firing but when I set the points the coils stopped firing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 08:18 pm:

geez,........ purchaseD a set of reproduction coils and they're not calibrated to work properly ??? What did you actually spend your Benjamins ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lyndel butler on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 08:22 pm:

Ron -

Here's a photo. I can call between about 3-4 central time tomorrow if that's ok.

thanks so much

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 08:36 pm:

Lyndel: If I bought those coils sight unseen, I would be taking those back to the post office and asking the mfg/vendor for a refund.

Bob Jablonski

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 09:14 pm:

I'm with Bob, should have been ready out of the box. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 10:15 pm:

Lyndal
Got it, I see the problem. The Model T ignition coil is a trap for logical people and through no fault of your own you were ensnared.
Give me a call tomorrow and I will get you pointed in the right direction.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 10:54 pm:

I have seen coils at a supplier where the points were literally thrown on, not even lined up, cushion spring not following etc. Amazingly, this same supplier had a decorative model T coil with a clock on the front for desk display and the points were set perfectly. Lyndel, you should give Ron Patterson a call.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lyndel butler on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 07:30 am:

Thanks - I will be calling Ron today!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 12:08 pm:

Bob J.

If you read Lyndel's original message, he stated that;

1. He bought & received the coils.
2. He messed with the adjustment.
3. Now they don't fire.

Without any further information, how is that the manufacturer's fault?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 12:18 pm:

LOL Jerry I was thinking the same thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 12:50 pm:

Glad I wasn't the only one who caught that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 03:19 pm:

Ron, Can you explain to everyone on the forum what you think his problem is? Someone else may need this info in the future.

Mike

Lyndel: I typically set the points first then check the amp reading, adjust the amps then recheck the points, and repeat until everything is perfect. Typical of used points when the connections (posts to coil points) are dirty tightening the nuts of the points will make them work after being fiddled with. Hope you get er figured out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 04:21 pm:

I didn't see that he blamed the manufacturer???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 05:04 pm:

Blame the tire manufacturer! Oh...wait...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 08:03 pm:

The coils were working before he tried to readjust them is how I understood the original post. Seems like they were working right out of the box. And after-----------

Coil problem??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 08:41 pm:

Unless I'm not seeing the photo well (gets pretty fuzzy when it's blown up) there doesn't appear to be any clearance between the points.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 07:03 am:

There are different makers of new coils. Some are not properly adjusted when sold and have a higher rate of problems. See this old post for one example: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/38371.html?1193537268

The best coils are properly rebuilt old Ford coils or repro coils from Fun Projects/John Regan: http://www.funprojects.com/products/5007KW.aspx
(or for the old pre 13 coils, RV Anderson.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 07:29 am:

Hal, I didn't see that either, but as Roger says some are not adjusted. Had this happen with a friend a while back. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 09:04 am:

Another quality coil supplier is Brent Mize who I understand studied under Ron and is now celebrating five years in the business according to LinkedIn, the professionals network.

I am running coils from R V Anderson, Ron Patterson, and Brent Mize and all of them are running fast and flawless.

And if John Regan's coils are typical of the other items he sells, I have no doubt they're properly built and adjusted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 08:16 pm:

Mike Robison and I are interested in Ron's explanation of Lyndel's problem..... Ron's answer will benefit all forum posters I'm sure.

Bob Jablonski

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 09:07 pm:

Craig, I don't know who makes that coil, but I had the same problem with the same coils.

Those little metal strips were not glued in place and rose up by attaching magnetically to the vibrator spring until there was no point gap left and the coil ceased to function.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, May 18, 2014 - 01:46 pm:

I am pretty sure those are referred to as "Bower" coils. I presume that to be the makers name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, May 18, 2014 - 02:30 pm:

Here is an earlier thread on the poorly made Bower coils:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/344069.html?1361737162

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, May 18, 2014 - 05:52 pm:

Bauer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, May 18, 2014 - 07:33 pm:

How are your checking and powering the coils? Are you using a buzz box, HCCT, Strobospark or just buzzing them with no spark gap. If you fired them without a spark gap you may have burnt out the winding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, May 18, 2014 - 08:06 pm:

Lyndel:

I had a customer's set of Bauer coils to be checked because of starting/running problems..... ended giving him a set of my original Ford rolled stamped coils (rebuilt), and strongly suggested he contact the seller for a refund...... which he received.

I found improper upper hardware geometry, too much cushion spring travel, low vibrator tension, and points not meeting square...besides the inside flat bars being loose on the primary winding.

Anyone who purchases a set of coils should get the satisfaction that they have been properly built and calibrated to Ford specifications...... ethics and accountability.

Bob Jablonski

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration