About 9 minute video Metal cutting technology

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: About 9 minute video Metal cutting technology
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 08:02 am:

http://www.wimp.com/metalbutter/

I don't know what they made but it was fun watching it being made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 08:27 am:

Neat video. I do not think they made anything. Just showing a potential customer what they are capable of creating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 08:35 am:

Interesting that no cutting/cooling fluid was used. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 08:36 am:

When I was in machine shop in High School that would have taken at least 5 different setups and no less that 3 machines and most likely days not minutes to complete

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 08:42 am:

Fastening. Much quicker than using a file and a micrometer but probably more expensive and not as much exercise.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Linsenbarth on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 09:29 am:

Can't wait to see what this machine looks like 5 years from now, when this machine starts making the next variation of this machine. Maybe even a drone to watch over the machine it self.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 12:06 pm:

I purchased a similar machine for our machine shop several years ago and I can say that multi-tasking works. We haven't even scratched the surface of what this thing can do.

As for coolant it's not really needed any more if you have the right tooling.

It takes a talented individual to program, setup and run this type of equipment. That was one factor we had to consider on our purchase. We have only three machinist with the skill level to run it.

The downside of this technology is any small accident can lead to huge repair costs, don't ask how I know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Godard on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 12:21 pm:

I think this is where machines are drastically going to grow over the next decade. Additive machining processes allow for complex geometry otherwise obtained by lengthy machine processes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9IdZ2pI5dA

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration