Decent Coupe on T-bay

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Decent Coupe on T-bay
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 09:18 am:

Here is a decent-looking Coupe on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111354193387?forcerRptr=true&item=111354193387&viewitem= &sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

The seller says it's a '17. I emailed him and told him it's not a '17; it looks like it could be a '19-'22. His response was less than pleasant.

Anyway, it looks to me like a good start on what could be a nice car, so I thought I'd mention it here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 02:14 pm:

Hi Mike, I'm always trying to learn these things being a rookie at this and all - how can you tell it's not a 1917?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 02:38 pm:

You must have really upset him, Mike. He's not taking any questions now. :-)

The biggest hint that it's not a 1917 is the 1919 or later engine, with a starter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 02:45 pm:

I didn't think electric start was even an option until 1919.......?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 02:45 pm:

The main reason - the body.

That coupe body did not exist in 1917.

There were two styles of 1917 coupelet:

1) folding top - continuation of the 1915 and 1916 coupelet
2) non-folding top, rounded rear corners and padded to the beltline, with removable window pillars

For 1918, the coupelet was flat top with removable window pillars.

The coupe body in the eBay listing is 1919 - 1922.

Also, as Steve said above, the car has a starter, generator, not to mention demountable wheels and a spare tire carrier, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 03:54 pm:

Right on, thanks guys. Always learning something new here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 09:51 pm:

Mike he looks like he is still taking questions, he may have blocked you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sosnoski on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 09:58 pm:

It has the window lifer rack to raise and lower the door windows instead of the strap. It also has the "T" style door handles. I think that makes it either a 1922 or 1923.

Dave S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 10:05 pm:

Dave -- I believe you are correct. I just told him '19-23, since '19 is closer to what he thinks it is. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 10:07 pm:

You can still let him know it's the wrong year by going to "seller's other items". Give it a try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 10:52 pm:

I sent him an email and can only describe the response I got back as "alcohol fueled". Whew. By the time I got done reading it, I was mildly surprised he didn't include something about my mother.

Go look at the feedback he has left for others and some left for him. Says it all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 11:16 pm:

Danial -- Same here. I saved his message to post it here but thought better of it. Half of it didn't make sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 11:17 pm:

I read some of the feedback.
Amazing........I didn't know there was power underneath rocks.
He must live under a very special rock....... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 11:26 pm:

Mike, I went ahead and reported the car to eBay as being misrepresented. I would be pretty bent out of shape if I bought anything only to find out later it wasn't what it was represented as.

Not everyone has access to or knows about the great resources here at the forum so it's entirely possible that the folks who have already bid on that car don't have enough information to know otherwise.

Sellers like him can give the hobby a black eye in the long run and turn off people who may have otherwise jumped in with enthusiasm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 12:39 am:

"I have own this for 10 years IT IS AS IS THERE IS NO WARRANTY she is a good car fun to have and drive she dose have a after market starter. put as you can see she starts on the first crank .Magneto could use another charge this is the first year of the headlights any thing you want to now just ask? Now why I am letting her go Dont no but my wife is in my ear all the time if you know what I mean."

Well crap! What are we going to do about the non authentic headlights on our early cars? In regards to the "any thing you want to now just ask?" Based on the grammar and punctuation in this statement I would just ask what year did you drop out of elementary school?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 12:43 am:

Try asking a question and you get: "We're sorry we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately, this seller is not able to respond to your question. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 10:19 am:

Thanks Steve. I was unaware you could even block questions being asked except by blocking specific buyers. Oh well it's the sellers loss.
Mike, it should have been Steve's name in my above comment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 12:01 pm:

I have since received 3 more long diatribes from the seller. I haven't responded to any of them and won't.

I do think someone should recommend a good prescription to him. Xanax, Valium or Prozac come to mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Saturday, May 17, 2014 - 02:20 am:

I Like It.
David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Saturday, May 17, 2014 - 02:22 am:

BLOCKED ME TOO !
I'd take it what ever year it really is, 1919 or 1920.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Saturday, May 17, 2014 - 02:26 am:

I cant bid either ... oh well !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Saturday, May 17, 2014 - 05:55 am:

I really always like the low rad coupes. I thought it would be nice to be out of the weather from time to time, but I do have a concern about being closed in with a vented gas tank. Do these cars get alot of fume buildup?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Saturday, May 17, 2014 - 06:51 am:

heh, heh. Leave the poor seller alone! Cut him a break as he's got two posters on his garage wall showing photos of Ts and Henry Ford. Apart from that you wouldn't want to push him over the edge causing him to start sending envelopes filled with anthrax. Telling a guy he has got the year of his T wrong can be like saying something bad about his wife or daughter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Saturday, May 17, 2014 - 07:12 am:

He's really uncertain about the year himself. Expand the photo and check out the yellow windshield card from the car show that's laying on the seat. It almost looks like it was shown as a '18 or something similar.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration