OT Photo - What's going on?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT Photo - What's going on?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van Evera on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 11:15 am:

Okay, for you history buffs, what is going on here? I expect Jerry to get this one....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 11:21 am:

Looks like a blind woman trying to identify a person by feeling their face. She may not be able to hear either, so I would think it might be Helen Keller.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van Evera on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 11:23 am:

Wow Norm, I'm impressed! Right, Helen Keller, but whose face?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 11:28 am:

Henry Ford's?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 11:29 am:

It's Henry Ford.

If you caught the repeat of the Henry Ford documentary on public television this week, they showed motion picture film footage of the same event shown in the still photograph above.

You view the live action footage of Henry and Helen here:

http://collections.ushmm.org/search/catalog/fv3664

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 11:51 am:

I know it's not but the guy in the foreground looks like Terry O'Quinn with a mohawk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van Evera on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 12:22 pm:

Lots of smart people here, that's for sure! The caption for this photo states that a "Detroit News photographer captures an emotional moment as Helen Keller 'feels' Henry Ford speak during their meeting in 1920. The two lives became intertwined through the years as Ford sought to improve the lives of the disabled by assimilating them into the workforce and Keller worked with the American Foundation for the Blind, to which Ford donated generously. Dearborn Independent editor E. G. Pipp and Keller's teacher and companion Ann Sullivan also appear in the photo."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 12:35 pm:

If you watch the film I posted, you can see Helen Keller and Ann Sullivan communicating with each other by signing on each others right hand.

Helen Keller could speak (and appears to be doing so in the film) so she was probably simultaneously signing what she was speaking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 02:20 pm:

I was way off. I thought it was Spock's grandmother doing a Vulcan mind meld with some old guy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 02:52 pm:

1920? That date can't be right. HF looks a lot older than 57. He looks 80+ in that picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 02:56 pm:

Also Helen Keller would have been 40 in 1920. I think that picture was taken much later than 1920.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 03:04 pm:

Sight impared hair dresser. Finished victim #1. Checking out #2. "It won't hurt a bit".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 03:35 pm:

Ken

On The Henry Ford site, that photo is claimed to be 1913.

1863-1913 age 50 for Henry
1880-1913 age 33 for Helen

Clothing seems appropriate for 1913

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 03:39 pm:

I thought she was giving him a "spit bath" like mom used to do...

Is the guy on he left Bert's grandfather?

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 03:40 pm:

I thought she was giving him a "spit bath" like mom used to do...

Is the guy on he left Bert's grandfather?

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 03:46 pm:

According to the link I posted, that particular event was in 1914.

The original film is in the National Archives, which dates it as 1914:

"Helen Keller with Henry Ford, Detroit, Mich., 1914. Reel No. 200FC-440(a)"

http://archive.org/stream/guidetofordfilmc00brayrich/guidetofordfilmc00brayrich_djvu.txt

If you are able to stop the film on the title card where it says "Ford Animated Weekly" there are two brass radiator graphics, not black radiator style graphics. That would lend it to being 1914, not 1920.

If you wanted to learn more, this book would probably be the best reference (note that Helen Keller is mentioned in the book's description):

http://www.mwsadispatches.com/amazon_store/item/0981744478

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 08:29 pm:

Helen Keller's clothing is more consistent with the teens than post-1920.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 08:34 pm:

Keith,

That is sooo funny I about fell out of my chair!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration