Question - Gun Blue exhaust manifold ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Question - Gun Blue exhaust manifold ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 12:33 pm:

Thanks to reviewing past forum Posts I was able to get the frozen exhaust brass packing nut off my rusted exhaust manifold this Morning ! Yea ! The manifold is now in the electrolysis bath bubbling away. my question is how to keep the manifold looking good - not rusted. I am thinking of using my gun blue kit on it. Anyone else try this idea ? I can not find the old coal black I used to use on cast iron furnaces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Wicker on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 12:42 pm:

I use stove black out of a tube.

I did "Blue a bunch of parts on my speedster,it sure looked nice. Then it got wet just 1 time...you have never seen anything rust so fast!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 12:43 pm:

If you like the cast iron look, this product from the Eastwood company works well and lasts a long time. It can be brushed on without showing brush marks and it can be touched up years later with a brush and the touch up blends perfectly. I have used it on the exhaust manifolds of my 1971 Plymouth GTX and it has held up well for over 12 years and counting.

http://www.eastwood.com/factory-gray-hi-temp-coating.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 01:00 pm:

POR 15 makes a brand of hi temp manifold paint.

Point is paint will burn off eventually. The high price way is to coat with ceramic, that will hold a long long time.

Gun blue will burn right off, and gun blue won't stop rust, you have to keep gun barrels that are blued covered with oil.

looks good fresh painted

a couple of years later

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 01:13 pm:

Thanks all and Thanks Dan, I will forget bluing and go with a ceramic paint

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 01:39 pm:

Make sure that manifold is not warped before putting a lot of effort into it or you'll wind up with a nice wall hanger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 01:41 pm:

David

Don't think you will find a ceramic paint....what I meant was product like Jet Hot, this is professional applied, has to be sprayed and then fired on in a hi temp oven, its meant to be permanent, and costs $$$ to do by an outside firm in your area. Probably best on smooth steel headers.

As for cast iron, your choices are spray paint for home use. Hi temp manifold brush paint or sprays, or some just use stove black spray sold for redoing the Bar-B-Que grill.

Calyx, is a brush on stainless steel paste, is strictly for cast iron ONLY. Have used it and it shows brush strokes, but works, as you can reapply in the spots that burn off. But I never take the time to re-do touch ups, unless its for a show or something, like trying to spiff up to sell a T :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration