Help - '26 Touring Steering Problem

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Help - '26 Touring Steering Problem
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By peter scheren on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 03:28 pm:

I was turning around via a slow speed "K" turn and as I got to the end of the first leg, opps, I had a no-torque condition of about 15 degs without a corresponding change to the wheels. Same thing in the CW direction as I came out of the second leg. Drove on home and everything was normal on corners, turns etc. What Happened???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 03:41 pm:

there is a groove cut in the bottom of the steering gear housing that stops the steering shaft from popping the pitman arm over center. If the groove is worn and allows the pin to ride out of the groove it will give that symptom; or if the steering gear cover isn't threaded on tight it too could allow the planet gear pin to come out of the groove.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 04:24 pm:

This is the groove that can wear. It is a built in stop to keep from over steering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By peter scheren on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 04:59 pm:

Thanks, pretty scary during those 15 degs with no control !

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration