How much clearence do I need?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: How much clearence do I need?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester W. Lowery TN on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 04:27 pm:

Probably an ignorant question to most of you but I don't want to over cut and ruin the sleeve. I think that the key way has to all show but I do not know exactly how far the pinion gear should be put on the shaft when finished. Probably not asking what I am wanting to know quite right but any thoughts or advise would be appreciated. I didn't disassemble this so I had nothing to measure or go by and the modifications doesn't show in the Ford manual.(oops) I have a screw driver in the hole for the universal joint to make sure it lines up with the drive pin hole. Chet
+++ jpeg +++ 445808 +++
Drive Shaft ++++++ jpeg +++ 445809 +++
Drive Shaft ++++++ jpeg +++ 445810 +++
Drive Shaft +++Drive Shaft

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester W. Lowery TN on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 04:36 pm:

I must have not give the pictures enough time to download...

Probably an ignorant question to most of you but I don't want to over cut and ruin the sleeve. I think that the key way has to all show but I do not know exactly how far the pinion gear should be put on the shaft when finished. Probably not asking what I am wanting to know quite right but any thoughts or advise would be appreciated. I didn't disassemble this so I had nothing to measure or go by and the modifications doesn't show in the Ford manual.(oops) I have a screw driver in the hole for the universal joint to make sure it lines up with the drive pin hole. ChetDrive ShaftDrive Shaft

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 06:06 pm:

Never used that type of modern bearing pinion set up.

But...that pinion gear must be all the way on the taper end of the drive shaft, its the press fit of the taper that holds fast the pinion gear, the key in the keyway of the shaft is just for final security.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 06:12 pm:

Some additional photos from other's post on Fun Projects style modern pinion taper roller bearing setup.

Assembly of the parts

bearing on and amount of driveshaft taper needed

best to seat that gear on firmly with a brass mallet over the key and key way

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester W. Lowery TN on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 07:01 pm:

Dan,
Thanks so much....I used google last night but didn't find these pic's...They are great and thanks for spending the time to post them and help...These are great and shows what I needed to know...
Chet

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration