Ot - Old Dog is learning new tricks including Apple iphone 5 & Intagram ...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Ot - Old Dog is learning new tricks including Apple iphone 5 & Intagram ...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 07:32 pm:

Well ...

Finally gave in and joined the 21st Century ...

Switched to an iphone 5 today and downloaded
the Instagram application ....

It is to let folks know where I am available to haul from next and shows them interesting stuff
from the road ....

Technology .... :-)

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 08:25 pm:

My company just bought me one of those a few weeks ago Jim. My regional manager was fairly aghast when he learned I was still using a flip phone.

Now I just need to figure out how to set up voicemail...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 09:29 pm:

Danial,

Find a 12-14 year old kid to do it! Seriously, a kid will do it easily and without any trouble. Kids can do it correctly too, which typically escapes me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 10:47 pm:

Ha...boy "ain't" that the truth, Henry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 10:51 pm:

Hey Guys ....

Does this bring back memories ?

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 10:51 pm:

What's an I phone?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 11:00 pm:

Gary it's the successor to the H Phone.

I remember the "Brick" well, Jim. We all thought they were cool on the sales force years ago when our company (same one I'm with now) got them for us..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Klem on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 11:01 pm:

Siriously, just ask or tell Siri to do any phone function or answer any question. You will be amazed!

Phone out of pocket
Push and hold Home button
Tell Siri:
Open my Speedometer App
See the speed your T is going
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 11:04 pm:

Gary,

iphone is an Apple product

It is one of the ' Smartphone ' generation
of phones.

If you travel like I do - it is a godsend.

It has voice recognition - you can ask it to navigate to an address like a GPS.

You can ask it to navigate to a certain business like an auto parts store.

It can check local weather.

There are hundreds of useful applications you can dowmload.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Saturday, May 17, 2014 - 12:37 am:

Two years ago, my children came home, on my birthday, with something they called "smartphone".
I just use it to phone, send SMS and sometimes I take photos with it. There should be more in it but I am not smart enough to find it and use it.
The phone is still smarter than me.
I can repair cars but don't know how to use my cell phone.
There must be hundreds of useful and useless application to down load but ... maybe there are applications to make running a Model T.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Saturday, May 17, 2014 - 12:52 am:

Andre I actually find my "smart phone" to be a much bigger pain in the arse than my old flip phone was. I could go right to a contact on that and dial the phone. With the smart phone I have to press a boatload of buttons for the same task.

With this new phone I have to log in with my 4 digit pass code every minute or so even if I have been talking on the phone.

When I am standing in the rain, I don't need my phone to give me a weather report.

And a simple print out of a map and directions from Mapquest is definitely much easier to use (and safer) than having to press a bunch of buttons on a phone for a map while driving. And then it's much too small to be of any real use so you have to pull over anyway just to read the damn thing.

And don't get me started on the compass app. Who really uses that anyway? When 90% percent of all driving is within 25 miles of home, I don't see myself needing a compass for much...grin..

I think the smart phone is another case of technology filling a need that didn't (and still doesn't) exist but because it's the new thing, people flock to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, May 17, 2014 - 09:42 am:

In 2011, Anja and I were going on a road trip to San Francisco (for a biennial reunion of some guys I was in the Air Force with in the mid-sixties), then on to Phoenix (to see my sister) and finally home. We both had very basic flip phones at the time and she insisted we get smart phones. The key phrase is "she insisted," since that often preceded what we did. The iPhone 4 had just come out, so we got a good deal on an iPhone 3 for each of us. She never really did much of anything with hers, and I took to mine like a duck to water. Last year, when I was switching the account to my name from hers and taking off the extra phone, the iPhone 5 had come out and AT&T was selling the iPhone 4 for $0.95, so I upgraded.

With my poor hearing, I only rarely use it to make phone calls, but I can send and receive e-mails (have accepted a lot of translation jobs while I was away from home), send texts, check balances and transactions in bank accounts (including a small one in Holland), figure out where I am and where the cheapest gas is nearby, get the weather forecast (I agree, Danial, but if I'm standing in the rain, it can be useful to look at weather radar to try to estimate when the rain will stop). Because my car is a 2008 Mercury, it has Ford's Sync system, so if I have the phone with me, I can make and receive phone calls through the car's audio system and can keep my hands on the wheel.

To keep this on topic, one day I was at a local car show and had a question about the phone and how some feature worked. On the way home, I stopped by the AT&T store in the T. There were no customers and I drove up and parked right in front of their plate glass window. I walked in and they asked how they could help. I held up the phone, gestured toward the T and said, "I can't get my phone to bluetooth with the car." I looked dead serious and their faces were priceless... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Saturday, May 17, 2014 - 11:28 am:

HA! That's great, Dick. Funny.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, May 17, 2014 - 12:38 pm:

Yeah, but with my flip phone, I can flip it open and say, "They're on to me--beam me up Scotty!"
Now if I could just get it to make that cool Star Trek sound when I flip it open. . .
Oh, and where I live there is NO cell service, so here a smart phone is just as dumb as my flip phone.

BTW, any of you know who the first Techno-group was??

Scroll

Pirates!
What?? Yeah, they had "I-patch"
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Saturday, May 17, 2014 - 12:55 pm:

I discovered there are times in life that it is not so much that you can't teach an old dog new tricks. It just that this old dog don't want to learn new tricks!

But I'm glad I learned how to take pix with the smart phone so I can upload them to the model T forum!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration