Model T trailer axle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Model T trailer axle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Saturday, May 17, 2014 - 01:44 pm:

Can Model T hubs be adapted to a modern 1" straight modern trailer axle. I want to build a trailer that has a weight load more than a Model T's front axle. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Kevin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Saturday, May 17, 2014 - 03:35 pm:

My money is on the T axle. it is in my opinion much stronger than a modern 1" square axle. I have a 4'x8' trailer made with a model A axle, and it has hauled many tons of gravel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Saturday, May 17, 2014 - 03:53 pm:

Ed, What bearings does one use on a Model A axle to be able to use T hubs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Mullis on Saturday, May 17, 2014 - 05:41 pm:

I had two spindles machined to accept T wheels (left and right).
The trick was finding someone willing to do the work.
Expensive but worth it to me.
I too am building a trailer (actually a camper).
So far all I have is a brand new axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Saturday, May 17, 2014 - 07:53 pm:

My trailer uses A hubs and '36 Ford wire wheels. My point was, that if the A axle is good for as much as we have hauled, the T axle is more than enough. Even if it carries only half of what we have piled on :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, May 17, 2014 - 08:15 pm:

Unlike, the rest of you, I'm using a Model T rear axle and spring assembly under my trailer; no worry about spindles moving or how to align them. I just removed the driveshaft complete with pinion gear and fabricated a cover plate to cover the hole left by the driveshaft. Now, this setup may not handle as much weight as a front axle, butt that wasn't a criteria of mine.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration