Oil in the Coolant

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Oil in the Coolant
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, May 20, 2014 - 05:55 pm:

I'm afraid this might be more than a bad head gasket on my '12 hand cranked engine.

The car has been blowing blue smoke after taking off from a signal light.

Prior to pulling the head I did a compression check with all cylinders at close to 50 psi dry and 72 to 60 wet. Put in 40 psi and listened for any leaks but didn't hear anything.

Thinking I could simply change the piston rings, set the gaps and check the cylinder walls for any scoring and be back on the road.

When I drained the coolant I noticed a small amount of black oil on the coolant. Pulling off the Z head I found the inside of it covered and oil dripping out.

The head gasket sealing marks looks pretty good and no obvious failure spot. My thought is how could the engine oil get into the coolant from the combustion chamber? The blue smoke indicated that oil was being burned so some was passing by the rings but could enough be there to get by a bad gasket?

I'm afraid there is a crack somewhere in the cylinder wall that opens up when the engine warms up. Could this be determined by a leak test? I haven't removed the pistons yet but the head is off?
Guess I'll check the head to see if its warped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, May 20, 2014 - 06:05 pm:

Sounds like an aw-shit worth three ata-boys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, May 20, 2014 - 08:47 pm:

Pulled the pistons, now I know why people liked the 4 dip pans. I can Thank Terry Horlick for saving one of my shims from dropping into the sump. I had installed one of his recommended oil dams for the fourth dipper.

Cylinders and pistons look real good anyway. I'll take measurements tomorrow.

When I removed the head gasket there was quite a bit of oil underneath so I'm hoping that is where the problem was. I measured the head and found close to .005" in the very center near the large coolant hole.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration