Does the mtfca give a dumas award? If so I would like to nominate myself. The sad story is that I poured gasoline in my radiator..I would guess less than 200-300 cc. As soon as I realized my error (I could smell it)I stopped pouring. Drained the radiator then ran water thru it. Refilled it with water and antifreeze. Now I am wondering if its safe to start the engine. Has not been turned over since the mistake. Could there be a gas film in the radiator that would be a problem? My wife has already suggested a brain scan
The old gas in the water jug trick. Me thinks your are ok. Any thing left will boil out real quick
What's left in there will evaporate.
Just go for a drive...that'll dissipate the fumes.
A couple years ago I had some 85-140 gear oil in a jug just like the antifreeze I had next to it.
You can see this coming.
I poured probably the same amount as you.
I'm still trying to get that sticky crap out of my radiator!
Don't feel alone.
Fred - You are in more trouble than you can ever imagine.
Ted Dumas is going to be a bit perturbed with your naming an award like that after him.
I would not be surprise if he instituted an Olenberger award for sticking ones foot in their mouth
BTW - Your wife is on the right track!
Also thank the stars for zero pressure radiators, since these radiators do have a vent to relieve any pressure you just have to put up with the smell for a few minutes.
Thanks for the feed back guys. And just to be clear I was thinking about Alexander Dumas..(line from the Shawshank redemtion) No offense to Ted.
You are not a "dumas". You suffer from a common medical affliction known as MCF - Momentary Cerebral Flatulence. The instance of you pouring gasoline into the radiator is referred to as a "MCF Event". It happens to me all of the time.
I didn't think of Ted, I thought you were being gentle but saying dumbass.
LOL at Bob, that's good.
I would recommend going for a short drive, but leave the radiator cap off. The gasoline will float, staying mostly in the radiator. Once the engine warms up a bit, the gasoline will evaporate out quickly. A windy day would also help. There is a chance of fiery explosion. Probably about one in a billion. Or only slightly greater than any other time you drive any gasoline powered vehicle.
If, on the other hand, you leave the radiator cap on the radiator for your drive, gasoline vapors will collect inside the radiator tank and have a much greater chance of fiery explosion. Maybe about one in ten thousand unless you provide an igniter inside the radiator. If you were to provide an igniter, it could go off like a small firecracker. Or not.
Now, I am going to take a different view.
GOOD FOR YOU!! Fred O! For being concerned enough and asking the questions.
Every year, thousands of people are killed. Thousands of homes are destroyed. Many thousands of cars severely damaged or destroyed. Because people play around with things they do not understand and they take chances with things that do have the power to kill or destroy those around them. Gasoline vapor can produce beautiful Hollywood explosions (you do not want to be near it). It takes an amount of gasoline mixed with an appropriate amount of oxygen and an ignition source (could be only heat or pressure). If you do not have the knowledge, you are smart to ask the questions. Sorry. No "Dum& @$$" award for you.
(Point of order; The chance numbers I gave are of course pulled out of the air, but are "order of magnitude" close. I have "some" background with such things.
Electricity is another thing that has nasty potentials if handled incorrectly.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2
When I was a kid I heard first hand stories of T drivers who used strait kerosene in the radiator in the winter time.
never heard of any explosions, but my cousin said his always leaked some out overnight and while he was in school all day.
It may burn, but unless you have pressure I don't see how the gasoline would explode.
I used alcohol anti-freeze when I was in high school.
If you drop a match in the radiator with alcohol and water it will burn until you put the cap back on. Who ever heard of alcohol anti-freeze exploding?
The B-26 used avgas to thin the oil on super cold nights. The next day the engine would turn over and start easy, and was well liberated. We had to run the engine long enough to get the oil temperature hot so the gas would evaporate before run-up and take off. A little gas in the radiator shouldn't hurt. MHO
That's not near as bad as the day years and years ago my mom and I watched our idiot neighbor lady take a garden hose and pout WATER into her gas tank in the piece of junk foreign car that I can't remember what make it was. Now, talk about dumb ass and MCF!!!
When I was a very young boy I filled the gas tank up on one of Dads old cars!
Even with the cap on, I believe the fumes, if any, will quickly escape through the overflow tube inside the radiator to the underside of the car. Jim Patrick