I tried to start my car yesterday. 1st time in a while. Started just fine earlier this year. Had the battery charger before trying. It wouldn't even turn over, so I hand cranked it to start.
Thought it was the starter switch issue, so worked on that and have continuity through the switch. I think the battery is probably bad, since it's several years old. Today with about 5 volts in the battery, I was under the car checking connections, and had someone else push on the starter switch, and as soon as the switch is pressed, I can hear boiling in the battery. I took the caps off the battery and held a mirror so I could see inside the battery. I was correct. As soon as the switch is depressed, the front cell on the battery starts to bubble immediately.
Is it possible that there is some kind of short in the starter, or would it be just a junk battery?
Thanks for any suggestions.
The guy who sold me my touring thought it needed a new starter. Somehow the starter cured itself when I installed a new battery. You may experience the same miraculous cure.
I'm thinking the same thing. I've just never noticed or even heard of a battery boiling, unless the generating system has malfunctioned and over charging it.
The problem is in the starter itself. Not sure yet what the issue is. The starter doesn't turn. Removing it now and will troubleshoot.
With only 5 volts in your battery your battery is likely no good. A fully charged 6 volt battery should read 6.3 volts. A suggestion would be to try charging the battery to bring it up to 6.3 v (after a 12 hour rest). If the battery will not hold or accept a charge then a new battery will be required.
If after you get the battery charged or replaced and the started still does not work, then maybe a more detailed look at all the connections and the starter would be reasonable. It you start work on the starter without a good battery to test it, you may be wasting your money and effort.
Take the Bendix off first! If not you will damage the coil ring and it's coils.