Well, I finally got around to getting the time to put the new radiator in my TT firetruck today. Somehow radiators and/or their accompanying hoses and I just don't get along. Today was no different.
This time, and I'll put in a before and after picture, after fighting and fighting with the upper hose couldn't figure out WHY it wouldn't quit leaking! Took hose & this time the outlet fitting off the engine to start from scratch. This is when I noticed this brand new radiator had two "tits" protruding from opposite sides of the top pipe. Wish I'd have seen that beforehand. Oh well. Crap. Go get the Dremmel, sand off the tits. Put everything back together, fortunately I keep extra gaskets in stock. No more leaks! At least so far. So much for what 800 bucks gets ya.
You have to look real close at the raised portion of the pipe in these to notice it, hardly shows in the picture, but one of 'em stuck out almost an eighth of an inch. The left pic is the "before" pictdure. Then I had to get all the gunk off the engine outlet flange, that was the easy part.
I know how you feel Tim. I just came in from the shop where I am building a rear end for a customer. I needed a U-joint for it. Got a new one off the shelf that had been there a while. First, had trouble with the hole for the pin lining up. Not front to back but, side to side. Fixed that, then the little voice said "better check the male part of joint where it goes into the driven plate". Sure a shooting to XXXXX big. Had to get it to fit. Why the XXXX can they not make parts right??? Dan
Must be small tits or they would have stood out during your first attempt. Nevertheless, sounds like you had your hands full. Which make of rad was it
Yes, they were fairly small. Barely eighth inch sticking out, which is why you can really barely see them in the left photo. Normally I check over stuff better, but this time slipped my mind. And you know how water will get through the tiniest of places, and these so-called tits was all it took! I was pissed. (probably more at myself than the stupid rad). It was a brassworks. Fired it up a few minutes ago, sure is nice not to have the moto meter climb almost to the top just sitting there in the barn on a medium idle! In fact, the red stuff didn't even rise up hardly at all this time.
Now for an engine rebuild this winter. If I can find the $$.
Would you explain how them 2 little nubbins would cause the hose to leak.
Very simple...the hose clamp pretty much straddled that area, and wouldn't allow the hose to conform, squish, whatever you wanna call it, around the nubbins...and it doesn't take even the smallest opening for water to leak through as we all know. All I know is once I ground them off with the dremel, it was end of leak.
I was taught to put the clamp past the ridge, so the hose couldn't come off. In this application the hose is so short it wouldn't come off anyways.
I'm just happy there are two companies still making rad. for T's, most used ones are junk