Glass Reflector Continued.... Some Observations

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Glass Reflector Continued.... Some Observations
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 07:58 pm:

Thanks to Val Soupios and Larry Smith, I have a few reflectors on hand for comparison. Here are a few pictures and some info. You can clearly see the radius of curvature difference between the two. However, they both fit the Brown #16 lamp. If anyone has any damaged (yet whole) reflectors that are of a different manufacture or originated from a different lamp than E&J or Brown... and they are willing to contribute to the research, please let me know. I hope this all results in a source of reflectors that are made to the original specifications.refref3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 10:54 pm:

I am looking forward to your success on this project. I would like to have a set for the Brown 16's myself.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 11:21 pm:

Ditto on your project. The one I sent to you fits a Brown #16, at least I thought it did before I sent it. Brown did etch their name on them, but I didn't have one to send. I recently acquired another, but it doesn't say Brown either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Stewart -Calif. on Thursday, June 12, 2014 - 12:43 am:

My 1914 T Runabout has Jon. Brown 16 head lights. It has the original Glass Reflectors. There is a double circle with their name in it and Columbus in the circle at the bottom. Inside of the double circle is a logo JO co. inside a diamond shape. I can't tell if the logo is on the back of the glass or in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Thursday, June 12, 2014 - 03:23 am:

Sorry the writing on the tags isn't very clear. The uncoated mirror is a "Lancaster Lens co" reflector. The other one has no visible markings on it. But Larry is right, it does fit in the Brown Lamp. I'll try to get a good photo of the Lancaster logo later today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, June 12, 2014 - 09:42 am:

I think that a hobbyist with optical glass and mirror skills such as yourself making these is going to be the only way these will ever be made. I tried literally for years to find a commercial glass company to take them on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Thursday, June 12, 2014 - 12:01 pm:

James I can send you a cracked but whole mirror for the Victor #2 lamps.

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Thursday, June 12, 2014 - 07:05 pm:

Larry ... That will be great! In a little while I will send you an email with my address.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Thursday, June 12, 2014 - 07:39 pm:

Mark, Larry S. Ken and R.V. - Thanks for the support. One thing I know for sure... I can make these. The unknown is whether I can make them cheap enough that they will be affordable. That is the challenge. WE'll know in the next few months.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration