New member looking forward to uing form

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: New member looking forward to uing form
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bruce brakke on Monday, June 16, 2014 - 07:31 pm:

After storing my 1927 couple for many years, one of the first things I am going to do is drain the oil. I am considering putting in kerosene after draining the oil as a flush. If I do, should I put some into the transmission by removing the top plate on the transmission housing? I would appreciate comments/suggestions regarding flushing the engine. I described my project on a June 14 thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, June 16, 2014 - 07:45 pm:

I wouldn't. You could just wipe out several bearings. Better to switch to a cheap detergent oil,run it a short time and the change it again. You will clean out most of the sludge in an old engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bruce brakke on Monday, June 16, 2014 - 08:17 pm:

Jack, I don't intend to start the engine now. I want to get the old oil out and then remove the oil pan and head and have a "look" around. I could use a cheap oil but thought the kerosene would clean it better.

Could the kerosene be a problem in such a situation?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Monday, June 16, 2014 - 08:31 pm:

i sometimes use diesel as a cleaning solution. It's also cheaper than Kerosene. Never use gasolne unless your life insurance is paid up! I don't see a problem with flushing with diesel or kerosene, but wouldn't start it that way. I'd just drain the oil and pull it apart, cleaning as it needs it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration