Early Leather Licence Plates - Learn About Them and See How Steve Hammatt Makes Reproductions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Early Leather Licence Plates - Learn About Them and See How Steve Hammatt Makes Reproductions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Saturday, June 21, 2014 - 07:22 am:

Early Leather License Plates: Motorists themselves needed to supply the actual license “tags” or “plates”
with the appropriate registration numbers to go with their state registration. Most were made of leather
and on The Old Motor you can learn how Steve Hammatt makes them today @ http://theoldmotor.com/?p=122450

A 1911 Beckley-Walton catalog shows a numbers and letters kit below.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Saturday, June 21, 2014 - 07:29 am:

Steve Hammatt sent us this postcard image of an unknown circa 1910 to 1912 roadster that is wearing a 1915 Nebraska leather pre-state license plate.
Efforts so far to identify it have not been successful, but hopefully you can help; please let us know what you may know about this car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Saturday, June 21, 2014 - 11:57 am:

I am a happy customer of Steve's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Saturday, June 21, 2014 - 11:59 am:

That looks like a Buick hub cap. The auto may be a 1911 Buick 36.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Saturday, June 21, 2014 - 01:15 pm:

Car sleuth Ariejan Bos has identified the mystery car as being a 1911 Marion Torpedo Roadster. Read about it and see photos
of one that has survived @ http://theoldmotor.com/?p=122450

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor on Saturday, June 21, 2014 - 02:15 pm:

Ariejan never ceases to amaze me ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, June 21, 2014 - 06:47 pm:

What is Steve's contact information? I need a leather plate for my Autocar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hammatt on Saturday, June 21, 2014 - 11:02 pm:

You can reach me at steve@leatherplates.com
or visit my web page at www.leatherplates.com
Thanks.
Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hammatt on Sunday, June 22, 2014 - 06:06 pm:

Sorry for the double posting to this initial posting by David, but I'm always looking for two types of photos.
1. Original, of the era photographs (similar to the now identified 1911 Marion Roadster) showing pre-state leather license plates. I like to include them in my website leatherplates.com
2. Hoping that more of my Model T customers will assist me by sending a photo of themselves, their car and their new leather license plate(s) to me to add to the website's Customer Gallery.
Thanks everybody!
Steve Hammatt

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration