Sometimes my engine will not fire up

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Sometimes my engine will not fire up
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Malcolm Macleod on Saturday, June 21, 2014 - 03:24 pm:

The engine of my model TT country bus normally runs without a problem , but sometimes like today after being for a run earlier I went to start it but it would not start , the battery was very good and it was turning fast but would not fire up . as I was about to give up I tried it once more and it started no bother and ran ok.
It has done this before, any sugestions what to check to sort this.
Regards
Malcolm Macleod
Isle of Lewis
Scotland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, June 21, 2014 - 03:49 pm:

Given how it's acting, the first thing I'd look at is the ignition switch. The next time it will not start, wiggle the key in the switch and see if that's it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, June 21, 2014 - 04:28 pm:

See the crack in the left end of the terminal block? That caused a loose screw and intermittent contact. Something else to check.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, June 21, 2014 - 05:49 pm:

I have had the same problem with mine. I found the battery wire on the terminal block was in need of a little tightening was not making good contact with the two wires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, June 21, 2014 - 08:21 pm:

Steve, there should be a rubber grommet in that hole the wires go through.

The wires often wear through the covering and some of them are always hot with the battery connected.

I have seen fires several times from that situation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, June 21, 2014 - 11:52 pm:

Yes, rubber grommet in the hole, rubber tubing on the terminals (not plastic), and slotted screws, not Phillips. There are lots of things on this car I'm correcting, little by little.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration