OT - Israel I. Ziperstein's Wild Machine - Do You Think It Ever Got Off The Ground?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - Israel I. Ziperstein's Wild Machine - Do You Think It Ever Got Off The Ground?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 07:53 am:

Israel I. Ziperstein and his associates concentrated on devices to stabilize, propel and elevate so-called heavier-than-air machines.
The patent drawing seen here illustrates Zipersteinís Aeronautical Device for which a patent was issued on August 12, 1924.

Through a complicated arraignment of sprockets, chains and gearing, the device above not only powered four propellers, but also
four sets of three covered wheel assemblies on a common axle that appear to have been the stabilizers.

The rest of the patent drawings can be seen including a motorized version and links to other patents that include a resilient wheel
at: http://theoldmotor.com/?p=122619

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 07:59 am:

It'll never fly. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 08:11 am:

In early aviation naturally there were more of the "wrong" brothers that the Wrights :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw_C_sbfyx8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 08:28 am:

I think the training wheels made it too heavy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 09:20 am:

Looks like a jet fighter built by a committee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Rice on Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 09:30 am:

valid idea, scale is just a little off. haha
gossamer albatross

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 02:19 pm:

Red Green built one of those with some old bicycles, some parts stolen off the Possum van, and lots of duct tape! :-)

red_green

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 06:57 pm:

Here is the motorized version - A Model "T" engine might have worked just fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 07:05 pm:

Well I don't know why it wouldn't fly (top pic), after all, he did put lightening holes in those sprockets. grin...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 09:41 pm:

The funny thing here is that by 1924 basic aircraft design was fairly well understood, and stable flight was commonplace. One has to wonder, then, what "problem" Mr. Zipperstein was attempting to solve?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration