Model T vin

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Model T vin
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Shirk on Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 08:41 pm:

I have a 7 digit VIN is there a link to check it's origin?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 08:45 pm:

Try this:

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/sernos.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Shirk on Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 08:59 pm:

Thanks. My car sure looks like a 26/27 tudor. This number is stamped into the frame by the left front wheel. 14185 puts it in January 1910.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 09:07 pm:

Look again at your frame number. There are probably three digits you missed. They may be hidden by paint, dirt, rust, crud, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 09:25 pm:

Your first post says it's a 7 digit number but in your next post you list a 5 digit number. ???

What's the engine number?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 09:27 pm:

The number is 14,185,XXX as Steve has indicated, which is 1926.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Shirk on Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 09:30 pm:

Don't have the original engine. stamped on frame is S14185W. picture was too large to post. Any history on this car prior to 1979 would be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 09:41 pm:

I've always believed the serial number was stamped below the floorboards on the right frame rail. If you pull out the floor boards it should be on top of the frame rail just below the kick panel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 10:12 pm:

That 'vin' is likely a state designated id for registration purposes. Many states have the dept of trans, police, or state attorney general office assign a 'new' vin when registering a car without a title or proof of ownership.

The Ford Model T engine number is the serial number or 'vin' of the car. If the engine is changed, then many states require a new 'vin' to be assigned by the state.

Appears your assigned 'vin' might be from the state of Washington. As the 'S'1485 (first digits of the present engine) and the ending 'W' are typical of a state assigned vin. The location by the left front wheel is non-factory Ford location.

Ford stamped the engine number on the frame of the Improved Car, beginning Dec 1925. Most are on the frame rail top, near the first running board bracket on the passenger side, but some are on the driver's side too.

typical passenger side stamp that matches the engine

driver side stamp that matches the engine number

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, July 09, 2014 - 10:19 am:

It's been a long time, but as I recall, the number for my old '26 was stamped on the left side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Bennett on Wednesday, July 09, 2014 - 12:39 pm:

Here's what I've learned from 45+ years of observation/working on Model T's. The "improved" cars had the serial number stamped on the top of the passenger side frame rail just about centered in the floor board area. The number matches the engine number. I have several "sets" of engine blocks and frames that match. I have never seen any such numbers stamped on the frames of the earlier cars or trucks. I have a stack of about 150 T frames out back and only the 26/27 frames have a number on them. That being said, there are several states that require a frame or chassis number to register an automobile. I'm not suggesting anything, but I have seen a few restored cars of earlier vintage with a number stamped on the frame. The size of the numbers on those frames seem to vary quite a bit and the location doesn't seem to be too consistent. Hmmmmmmmmm????? Also, the Model A frames are stamped with a number on the driver's side a little further forward than the Model T location. The Model A also had a stamped "star" at the beginning and end of the number to discourage alteration of the number. I hope this helps!! Have fun with all the projects but be safe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Shirk on Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 07:46 pm:

Thanks. The frame could be an earlier year. It already had the SBC drive train when I bought it. Sure looks like a 26/27 tho.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 09:43 pm:

Dane

The frame on this T rod is the later '26-'27 frame. Key feature is the rear cross member, with the 'hat' shape flange and long running board brackets.

Has been modified a bunch with extra bracing and front cross member, axle, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees on Friday, July 25, 2014 - 06:38 am:

Are you planning on Un-Hot Rodding it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Shirk on Friday, July 25, 2014 - 08:52 pm:

No Chad, I'm a streetrodder at heart. up to primer stage

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees on Friday, July 25, 2014 - 09:11 pm:

I like and have had many different muscle car era cars. But just a fair warning, you will probably get very little responses here due to this forum being geared towards the preservation of stock style T's. Its almost blasphemy to talk about street rodded T's here--unless your undoing the rodness.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees on Friday, July 25, 2014 - 09:14 pm:

This forum would be better suited to your needs FYI. I mean no offense, I like all different cars from stock to modified, I just thought before you got some rude responses I'd warn you.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forums/the-hokey-ass-message-board.5/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P Noonan on Friday, July 25, 2014 - 09:43 pm:

Chad, i have to disagree, i don't think anyone would be intentionally rude because of the coarse he wants to take his car, diss-interested maybe, rude, probably not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees on Friday, July 25, 2014 - 11:30 pm:

John, you should see some of the stuff I have seen written here over the years. I have been on this message board since 2005 despite what my profile says. Check out the "Does antifreeze need to be drained before I take off the head?" thread to see some of the comments made there. It only gets worse on here when it is a "hot rodded" T. Not everyone is nice, LOL.

And yes, disinterested would also be a good description, but that also leads to little or no response from this forum.

Dane, nice little rod you have there, just keep the shiney side up. I might add I would box that frame at the least too. T-frames are strong, but they were never really meant for the weight or power of a V-8 and trans. If I was to do it I would scratch build a frame out of 2x3 box tubing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Shirk on Saturday, July 26, 2014 - 01:04 pm:

Chad, thanks for your input. Thanks also to one of your members who identified the frame as 1926, and showed me where the production number is stamped. The original question about S14185W couldn't be answered by any of the "hot rod" websites or even the Colorado state patrol. Model T enthusiasts are knowledgeable and turned out to be very helpful in getting me answers, so sorry if this offends the purity of vintage car restoration.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration