Getting hot, exhaust pipe and and manifold cherry red

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Getting hot, exhaust pipe and and manifold cherry red
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard on Wednesday, July 09, 2014 - 10:47 pm:

26 tourer, hasn't had prolonged running for 60 years. Cleaned out radiator and block, ( head off),pistons feel OK not much play and no discernible ridge in top of cylinders, faced head, re-seated and lapped in valves, re-kitted carby, new commutator and loom, new plugs, disassembled muffler and ran wire up exhaust pipe to make sure no restrictions, starts and runs on coils and magneto, got it jacked up on axle stands, but after 5 minutes or so can see the exhaust and end of manifold starting to get red glow and that worries me... any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, July 09, 2014 - 10:51 pm:

The spark is likely too far retarded.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson on Wednesday, July 09, 2014 - 10:57 pm:

That is what I had happen the first time I ran mine, I did not advance the spark and it got red hot real fast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, July 09, 2014 - 10:59 pm:

If advancing the timing doesn't cure the problem (but it really should), try enriching the fuel mixture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, July 09, 2014 - 11:16 pm:

Or both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Thursday, July 10, 2014 - 12:48 am:

Check for any leaks around the intake manifold. Intake leads will lean out the mixture and cause the engine to run hot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, July 10, 2014 - 03:10 am:

By the way, ridges does not form in Model T cylinders with original pistons. The cast iron pistons has wide rings that goes all the way up to the deck plane at TDC so there's no chance for ridges to form. I was surprised many years ago when I found std alu pistons at a swap meet and tried in my engine I thought was fairly unworn since it didn't have any ridges - well, lots of play & I still haven't found use for those pistons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin in South Africa on Thursday, July 10, 2014 - 03:43 am:

Tony, just checked your profile. Get a hold of Frank Van Ekeren... you can search him on the forum, or PM me and I will put you in touch.

Cheers
Justin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard on Thursday, July 10, 2014 - 06:01 am:

Thanks all for the replies.. had to adjust the rod length to the commutator and gave it a run. seems to have made a difference. Interesting comment re the ridges Roger... another bit of knowledge to store ..

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration