Preparing pictures to post

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Preparing pictures to post
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, July 16, 2014 - 09:11 am:

No, I don't mean resizing. We've pretty well flogged that dead horse into equine hamburger. This comes before you get to resizing. Many pictures, maybe even most pictures, have too much stuff in them. These can usually be improved by cropping (cutting off unwanted parts). Here are a few examples.

Here's the full, uncropped picture as it came from the camera.

The subject is the vehicles with the mountains as a backdrop. I've cut out most of the distracting branches in the foreground and some of the sky, and removed most of the extraneous stuff behind the trailer. The overall effect is a closer view concentrating on the subject.

Original image.

Again cutting out some of the periphery to move in for a closer view.

Original image.

The subject here is the cow and bull, so I've removed the distractions of that guy off in the distance to the left and the bank in the foreground at the bottom.

Original.

All that road in the foreground is extraneous, so it goes. Ditto the distracting view to the left of the big tree. With that gone, the tree acts as a frame to lead the viewer's eye into the scene.

Cropping is a simple thing that takes just a few seconds and can improve many pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Wednesday, July 16, 2014 - 10:24 am:

Steve,
I agree, there is seldom a photo taken that cannot be improved some, not only by standard cropping but also by changing the width to height ratio to fit the subject. This photo started out as a standard 1.5:1 and was cropped to 2.5:1.

Jim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration