Driveshaft Pinion Thread

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Driveshaft Pinion Thread
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Holtum on Monday, July 21, 2014 - 09:40 am:

Can anyone confirm the thread size used on the bolts /studs used into the diff housing(6) from the driveshaft pinion. I need to drill and tap one of the holes in the diff housing after repair.
(Ruckstell side)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ex trooper on Monday, July 21, 2014 - 09:51 am:

That's one of those weird Ford Threads. ws

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, July 21, 2014 - 10:11 am:

The holes in the stock housing are 13/32". I don't know if the Ruckstell is the same, but I would expect it to be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, July 21, 2014 - 10:38 am:

Steve is correct. This is an odd threaded hole. You could drill an tap for the next size hole, which if I did the math right, would be 7/16th or install a plug then drill and tap for 3/8 16 bolt. This would give you one odd bolt in the group. You might want to read the info in the first link before you proceed.
One of the posters in the past had some made up. The taps are not inexpensive for doing one hole but maybe someone has one that you could barrow.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/147886.html?1277758725
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/437106.html?1397138637

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Monday, July 21, 2014 - 10:52 am:

Remember if you put an oversize hole in there you will likely have to ream out the holes in the drive shaft spool and the head of bolts have very little clearance at the spool so an oversize bolt hex head will be a problem there most likely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Monday, July 21, 2014 - 12:57 pm:

You could always mill the head of the bolts down to 9/16.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, July 21, 2014 - 01:39 pm:

Of the various possible solutions, I would vote for borrowing the 13/32" tap and doing the job right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, July 21, 2014 - 05:15 pm:

13/32" - 16tpi to be precise :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Monday, July 21, 2014 - 11:43 pm:

When I fitted a Moore transmission to a diff with 3:1 gears, I needed to find bolts to fit the spool to the diff. From memory, we used 10mm x 1.5 socket head set screws. This size was a very close fit, only binding slightly as the last thread exited the housing inside the hole. It is still good after thousands of miles and many long interstate trips. No modifications necessary.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration