Demountable wheel restoration help

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Demountable wheel restoration help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By robert sessoms on Monday, July 21, 2014 - 07:42 pm:

I need to know what to treat new hickory spokes with?..i don't want to paint them black.

I also need to know if powder coating is alright for the rims and hubs,or is it too thick?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Monday, July 21, 2014 - 07:51 pm:

I just finished building a set of wheels with stained and urethaned spokes and powder coated Kelsey metal felloes, I had no issues with the fit of the parts.

If you have metal felloes, be sure to get the correct length spokes, Hayes felloes and Kelsey felloes are 1/16 inch larger inside diameter than Ford felloes, and use very slightly longer (by 1/32 inch) length spokes. The suppliers know about the difference and can provide spokes of the correct length for your felloes.

Here is a link to the thread showing my wheel build:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/454203.html?1404960383

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Tuesday, July 22, 2014 - 10:09 am:

By the way, here is a picture of the stain and exterior urethane that I used on my spokes. Each spoke takes the stain a little differently, so I ended up having to put two coats of stain on about half of the spokes to get them to better match the other ones. I ended up putting on four coats of exterior grade spar urethane. I put on two coats, allowed the spokes to dry overnight, then lightly sanded the spokes with 240 grit paper, wiped off the dust with a cloth, then put on two more coats.

paint01

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration