Just back from "The Shop" in Lincoln (yes, it's named "The Shop"). Last year we had the Model K checked there, and when Chad (owner) pulled up that test, we were at 37 hp (flywheel) at 50 mph.
This year, after Dean Yoder honed the cylinders, and added oversize rings (the compression was all over the board, and low) and ground the valves, the horsepower increased to 49 hp at 50 mph. We knew the engine was much stronger, but I didn't know the hp went up that much! Torque increased from 117 to 155 (max, 237 flywheel torque).
Below is the test sheet (hp and torque are at the wheel, divide by .65 for flywheel rate):
Other interesting numbers: 35 mph = 900 rpm, 40 mph = 1190 rpm and 50 mph = 1530 rpm.
40 mph screen:
We are running the original Buffalo carburetor, and it runs a little rich at idle for optimum performance at speed. Everything is stock, except a Bosch mag instead of the original Holley/Huff mag. I hope everything is ready for New London to New Brighton, Dearborn to Lansing/Old Car Festival and the Glidden Tour over the next two months............(knock on wood )
The K weighs 2900 lbs (checked two weeks ago), so the hp to weight ratio is 59 lbs per hp. I didn't have time to check our T or N, but to be equal, the T at 1690 lbs (13 touring) will need to reach 29 hp, and the N at 1200 lbs must reach 20 hp for the same ratio.
YouTube clip from the dyno testing:
Don't twist off your crankshaft with all that torque.
Man that is wild what a difference Mr. Yoder's TLC made.
Rob does the K shift at 5 mph now like you have wanted it to?
Jim, your right, we don't want to be a part of the "broken crank club."
Seth, yes, Dr. Dean made all the difference.
Below is a video of the K beginning and shifting to high. We now can shift at two to four mph, while beginning (and shifting) with the engine at an idle.
And, beginning on the level in high gear, with the engine at idle speed:
Amazing what a little compression will do..........
I've been using an online calculator to "guesstimate" where our horsepower was. Tonight I plugged in the numbers to see how this "Rough Horsepower Calculator" compared with the test today. Our compression is about 65 lbs, so I used 4.42 compression ratio (65 lbs divided by 14.7), 1500 rpm and the K engine displacement, 406 cu in. The calculator came up with the same hp as the dyno (blind luck?).
Oops, the calculator link:
I suspect that having the cut out open for today's test may have also contributed, maybe noticeably, to the increase in HP over the initial test.
While I haven't tested my K, it seems to me that it is noticeably more powerful when I run it with the cut out open.
Like mileage, your results may vary.
We tried with and without cutout, and there was little difference. However,the main "wildcard" was how much I advanced the spark. Using both ignition systems, if I varied the spark the results were significant. As a result, I was not able to duplicate a cutout and non cutout test (since the amount and how quickly I advanced spark varied each time).
I probably should have tried two tests with the spark set. Something to try next time.