I am having a dog of a time installing a hot air pipe on my manifold and carburetor...how the heck do you get it to fit? When I get it into the carb, then it won't fit the manifold, when it sits on the manifold stud, then it is too close to the motor to fit into the carb...now my back hurts from bending over. Any ideas???
FWIW, if it's a repro unit, mine doesn't fit either.
I ended up using brute muscle, once I got it onto a manifold stud, turned the nut then pulled on the pipe and forced it into the carbm then turned the nut a few turns, then muscle into the carb, turned it down, then muscle and it is in place. Just a bad fitting repop part....ugh.
I had to use tin snips to get the repo to work.
I trimmed mine with tin snips and changed out the tab that goes to the manifold stud. I made up one that is longer and grooved so it allows for a bit of wiggle room. I used an original as a pattern to make the adjustments. It's just another example of repro parts not being made correctly. I just don't understand it. It doesn't take anything more to do it right
A little OT, but here is another example - I ordered a pair of repro windshield pivot thumbscrews for my 1924 touring / pickup, they came today. As soon as I pulled one out of the bag I could tell that it was smaller in almost every dimension compared to the original, see attached pics. I'm going to use the repros until I get around to re-plating my originals, then the originals will go back onto the car.
Seen that before. Sad.
I got a re-pop stove too.........same problem.
By the time I was done trying to get it to fit it was junk.
For some reason the Toquet carb I'm running on the '27 without a stove doesn't miss it.......ever.......
I think part of the problem on the repo stoves is that they are 26 style and were meant to be used with the the 26/27 clamps. I beat the cr&* out of one that I installed on a 23 that used the early type clamps.