Early Touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Early Touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 10:22 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson on Friday, July 25, 2014 - 06:15 am:

Herb, thanks for post. The top photo must be very early touring as nobody has called "I'm riding shot-gun" before they even started.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, July 25, 2014 - 06:57 am:

Herb,

Thanks for posting. The top photo appears to be a typical 1911 to early 1912 step style body (ref page 85 Bruce's "Model T Ford"). It also clearly shows the higher radiator filler neck and the reinforcing bar near the bottom of the radiator. Warren, I think the person who is going to be riding shot-gun may have taken the photo.

The second photo is an earlier car, as it has the 1909-1910 style body. The rear fenders have the offset fender bracket (I do not know the actual cut off number. I.e. for engines is called 2500 but the first thermo-syphon engine came out as 2448 on Apr 22, 1909 ref page 481 Bruce’s “Model T Ford” with some overlap when both water-pump and thermo-syphon engines were used. ) The rear fender brackets were changed in early 1909 according to Bruce -- but the exact time was not known. Originally the butterfly fender irons came up under the fender skirt but then they were changed so the butterfly fender irons came through the fender splash apron rather than under them. On page 62 of Bruce's book he mentions the date the front fenders with the bill were introduced is also unknown but apparently before May 1909.

The radiator does not have the reinforcing bar and still has the winged script and low radiator filler neck. According to Bruce at: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/P-R.htm#rad he states, "About mid-year, 1910, a number of modifications were made, including a higher filler neck and the addition of the support bar across the lower part of the radiator core." And it does not have the larger radiator cap of the water-pump engines.

Based on the above I believe the car was likely assembled sometime between very late Apr 1909 (thermo-syphon engine) to mid-year 1910 when the reinforcing bar was added to the radiator.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, July 25, 2014 - 07:53 am:

The top car is 1911 due to the cowl lamps being Brown #85 which were phased out before the end of summer 1911.

The lower picture is a later 1910 model year car. An obvious detail is the higher position of the door handles which is a mark of the 1910 model year cars. Here's a similar unrestored 1910 S/N 22618 owned by Mitch Owen:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, July 25, 2014 - 10:48 pm:

Unusual windshield for a '10.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, July 25, 2014 - 11:08 pm:

I believe it is a Metzger Automatic windshield, common in 1910.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration